Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Bobcat 225NT questions

Good morning! I just picked up a non running 225NT and have a few questions. My first question is what does the "NT" mean if anything? Secondly the previous owner of this machine said that the motor just died on him while he was welding with it. Now it doesn't start with the switch on the face of the machine. The motor is free and I am looking for a place to start. I downloaded the owners manual and that said the low oil switch. Does that sound right? I am completely new to engine driven welders, but couldn't refuse this based on price. This unit has the Kohler 18hp motor and the serial # is KK188905. Any and all suggestions on what to look for will be appreciated. Thank you in advance!!!!

Paul
    At home:
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 211 Auto-set
    Spoolmate 100

At work:
    2-Syncrowave 250
    2-maxstar 150
    millermatic 250X
    Dynasty 200 DX

Have you checked the oil level and filled it to correct level? Does the starter turn the engine over?

With the little info you gave I'll try to help. Does it crank? If so check the oil level and adjust as needed. Then pull a spark pulg and check for spark.if you have spark, check for fuel issues. Pull the air cleaner off and give it a shot of either or carb cleaner. Let us know where your at with it and maybe we can help further

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G. View Post
    Good morning! I just picked up a non running 225NT and have a few questions. My first question is what does the "NT" mean if anything? Secondly the previous owner of this machine said that the motor just died on him while he was welding with it. Now it doesn't start with the switch on the face of the machine. The motor is free and I am looking for a place to start. I downloaded the owners manual and that said the low oil switch. Does that sound right? I am completely new to engine driven welders, but couldn't refuse this based on price. This unit has the Kohler 18hp motor and the serial # is KK188905. Any and all suggestions on what to look for will be appreciated. Thank you in advance!!!!

Paul
    NT = New Technology.. If I remember correctly.

Griff

I have checked the oil and have a battery on the charger to see if it will turn over when I get home from work. I also downloaded a service manual from Kohler and been digging through that tonight also. In the troubleshooting section of the bobcat manual there is a low oil pressure switch that is common between both symptoms. Has there been much of a history of failure with this? My machine has 810.5 hours on the meter if that helps. Once again, thanks for the help!!!
    Paul
    At home:
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 211 Auto-set
    Spoolmate 100

At work:
    2-Syncrowave 250
    2-maxstar 150
    millermatic 250X
    Dynasty 200 DX

Another update. I hooked up a good battery and didn't get it to turn over. I checked the F1 and F6 fuses per the manual. I did find what looks to be the low oil pressure switch on the opposite side of the block of the starter which has a broken terminal. Is it ok to run a jumper wire around this to troubleshoot? I also found that the previous owner changed the barrel fuse (F6) to a flat fuse. I made sure that their connections were good on that also. Is there anything else I should be looking at?
    At home:
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 211 Auto-set
    Spoolmate 100

At work:
    2-Syncrowave 250
    2-maxstar 150
    millermatic 250X
    Dynasty 200 DX

Last update I hope!! I've been working a little bit for the last couple days. Since the last update, I have found that the wiring harness on the divider has severe corrosion. So I am going to rewire that and all will be good. I have it patched to be able to run it for now. It really runs good! I can't wait to be able to put it all back together and make use of it. Thank you to everyone for the help!!!!
    Paul
    At home:
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 211 Auto-set
    Spoolmate 100

At work:
    2-Syncrowave 250
    2-maxstar 150
    millermatic 250X
    Dynasty 200 DX