Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: job pricing

Default job pricing

Hey y'all I have been on here before but my account was deleted but anyway I got a simple job to weld a coupling. It is 3" OD pipe and I put a root and a weave in with TIG. What should it charge for something like that?? Used 2 TIG rods and that was it...

Add 20% to the tig rod and give yourself a decent wage.
    Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
    Millermatic 211
    Spoolmate 100
    (Retapped to fit regular mig tips)
    Work better & less parts to stock.
    Miller 130xp
    T/A Dragster 85 (portability 11 pounds)
    Oxygen/Acetylene torch set 50'
    2. 4-1/2" grinders
    1. 9" grinder
    14" Makita chop saw
    1/2" Aircat impact gun 900#

Default job pricing

Don't forget;
    Travel time
    Vehicle fuel
    Also charge per mile for vehicle maintenance
    Insurance (you should carry 3 million liability)
    Welding gas
    A usage fee for your equipment (maintenance)

Remember picking up materials such as filler rod, welding gas, tungsten, is not free. The costs for this stuff should not come out of your wages. If you don't charge a small amount, you will not be in business long. And as hard as it is always put 20% of every job in the bank and don't touch it, this $ is for taxes and maintenance on vehicle and equipment.

@cvmechanical wrote "And as hard as it is always put 20% of every job in the bank and don't touch it, this $ is for taxes and maintenance on vehicle and equipment."

You would need more than this to cover taxes & maintenance. SSI is 12.4%, medicare is 1.45% plus your fed tax rate & state tax rate. I figure 30% for taxes plus another 10% for equipment & consumables. This can easily be more if you have rent/mortgage on a building.

I just use a flat hourly rate which covers everything including consumables. I can always adjust it for a specific job that uses more than average wire, etc. To bill for each rod or a percentage of a grinding wheel would be a waste of time trying to figure it out.

To the OP, how much time did you have? Charge your hourly rate. If you had to travel to the job then you should add extra but this should have been discussed up front. I will tell people ahead of time that I can't come out for a one hour job & have another hour travel if I don't get extra. If you put it on them at the end it makes unhappy customers since they will always say "you were only here for xx time, why am I getting billed so much?
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

$80.00 hr.

Default job pricing

I guess in Canada it's different for a small business 20% is enough, there may be a +/- but you can't put 30-40% of your money away as you need some capital for materials. As far as consumables I add a 15% misc. fee to cover them. And I never give a price at the end of a job, it's always quoted up front unless it's impossible but when that occurs you give your customer a budget price.

Quote Originally Posted by welderj39 View Post
    Hey y'all I have been on here before but my account was deleted but anyway I got a simple job to weld a coupling. It is 3" OD pipe and I put a root and a weave in with TIG. What should it charge for something like that?? Used 2 TIG rods and that was it...
    As Jodie on Tips & Tricks says " Tig-1$ a tack-!$ an inch. Multiple pass, figure the inches. It will cover your time and material used. Way I run and it works out good!