Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Open Root V-Groove Weld

Hi,

I have been trying to do a root pass using an E6010 in flat position on a beveled butt joint using 3/8" material (mild steel). I get good penetration on half of the joint, but not the whole pass. I am not sure about how best to move the stick to get the best penetration on the root face. I set the amperage at 75 amps. I have heard of "key holing" but when I try this I burn a hole in the joint. I think it is because I am still not very skillful at controlling the stick. I also don't understand what "whipping" the electrode is.

Thanks Anybody for any good Tips!

Search YouTube for whipping stick weld technique. Also how to root pass stick. Just need to practice more when you are able to weld and control your electrode you will be able to run the root nice and clean.
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter

Welcome to the forum 13 as I see this is your first post.
    Best advice I can offer is take a class.

Quote Originally Posted by stick_welder13 View Post
    Hi,

I have been trying to do a root pass using an E6010 in flat position on a beveled butt joint using 3/8" material (mild steel). I get good penetration on half of the joint, but not the whole pass. I am not sure about how best to move the stick to get the best penetration on the root face. I set the amperage at 75 amps. I have heard of "key holing" but when I try this I burn a hole in the joint. I think it is because I am still not very skillful at controlling the stick. I also don't understand what "whipping" the electrode is.

Thanks Anybody for any good Tips!
    Ok! Been there-done that! First off-Are you running 1/8 sticks! Your amps will depend on size and welding speed. On 1/8 6010-I like to run them at about 60 amps. Works at my welding speed. You may be running too hot. The 6010 is an aggressive burning electrode!

The "keyhole" is like running a bead on the back side if the base material. You move the puddle forward until you get what looks like the old fashioned key hole-then twitch your wrist forward to let it freeze-then back to form a new puddle.

In flat you shouldn't be having an issue with the root pass not burning through using 6010. What is you joint configuration? Bevel angle, root face, root opening?

Default Butt Joint Weld

I appreciate the advice, it helps a whole lot! Thanks everybody.

The joint is a butt joint. The 2 plates are cut so as to form a 30 degree bevel. I grind the landing to a 1/8" max. As for the root opening, I leave a gap of 1/8" max.

The rods are 1/8" 6010 for the root pass and 1/8" 7018 for the fill and cap.

Ok sounds like we found your problem. Grind your root face to 1/16" and set your root gap to 3/32". To heavy of a root face and you can't punch through it.

Also use 3/32" 6010 if you are still having a problem punching through the root.