Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have been using needle guns for years. For the hard slag at the bottom of a deep V droove, I still prefer a air hammer with a chisel, but cleanup afterwards with a needlegun. My experience , it is better to buy more cheap needle guns than a fewer number of supposedly better more expensive ones. Either way, I go through at least two every year.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Ingersoll-Rands are fairly high $ but they hammer hard for about a billion man hours (or at least the older one's did, can't say about the current available) and you used to be able to buy rebuild kits for them.

I've got a short (about half the length of the regular ones) Souix Tools right now (only a little over a 100 bucks)and know of others using the same one, it's short and light. Just plumb flat cute, and they've been beat to death for many hours.

I put a short whip on them if your air line is big/heavy just for welder comfort, lose a small amount of air flow but I don't care. That plus it's easier to build a new whip when it gets some innevitable burn damage.
    I take out about half the needles too, to get down in narrower spots, plus they hit a little harder that way.

J
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

On the old I-R's that exhaused out the front, I plugged an inline filter to keep oil/moisture out of code welds. Better to replace the tool every few years from running dry in my opinion.

I'd still rather use a wire wheel on anything but there are places a needle gun is easier. A wire wheel on a 7" or 9" grinder cleans everything mobetter but a gun can be very handy some days.

J
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

I bought the cheap harbor freight ones a couple of years ago using the 20 % off coupons. Works great for the money. They were less money then.

A bead brush is my first choice, but the needle gun sure can save the day.
    Jeff