Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Do You Stick w/ Your Dynasty 200 DX?

I've only used my Dynasty 200 DX to stick weld a couple of times (6010/7018). Doing so introduced me to what welders meant when they said sometimes they found stick welding to be like spreading butter. A whole other world from any other machine I've used.

But my question is would you or do you use the machine a lot for stick welding or solely for Tig? "A lot" is pretty subjective so lets say it means one of two things:
    - Use it for everyday production work.
    - A newbie uses it to run bead after bead after bead for practice (yes, observing duty cycle limits).

I use mine for Tig, I have stick welded with it but most on my stick welding is mobile now with an engine drive so I leave the Dynasty set up for Tig.

Using it everyday for stick would bother me a little because like you I don't know the ends and out of inverters with sticking rods etc but I wouldn't think it should hurt it. If I needed to stick weld with it I would,,, if there is access to a stick machine, then I would use it instead.

Smile

I do mostly TIG these days....

Both my Dynasties 200DX & 350 Tigrunner have have been used strictly for TIG and never burnt a stick..

not that they couldn't... but I just don't do any stick welding these days..

Anything that might have seen stick in the past now gets MIG'd with either the MM350P or MM200...

just my personal preference... no reflection on the Dynasty's ability to run stick...
    Last edited by H80N; 11-11-2013 at 05:32 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

"not that they couldn't... but I just don't do any stick welding these days..

Anything that might have seen stick in the past now gets MIG'd with either the MM350P or MM200...

just my personal preference... no reflection on the Dynasty's ability to run stick."

Exactly what I was gonna say
    Last edited by @cvmechanical; 11-11-2013 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stickermigtigger View Post
    I've only used my Dynasty 200 DX to stick weld a couple of times (6010/7018). Doing so introduced me to what welders meant when they said sometimes they found stick welding to be like spreading butter. A whole other world from any other machine I've used.

But my question is would you or do you use the machine a lot for stick welding or solely for Tig? "A lot" is pretty subjective so lets say it means one of two things:
    - Use it for everyday production work.
    - A newbie uses it to run bead after bead after bead for practice (yes, observing duty cycle limits).
    ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! I love my Dynasty!!! I bought it for the advance features of tig! I can buy a cheap machine to stick. You don't need to fine tune a stick machine. Just adjust your amps. I am not getting nasty-but a Dynasty is a waste as a daily stick machine! Sorry! My opinion!