Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I have been doing a ton of out of position welding on 16g metal studs and I could not get .023 wire to dial in. I kept having the exact symptoms you are having. It was only out of position though, if I did a weld on sawhorses I could get it working perfectly. I messed around with it for a bit because I felt .023 was the correct wire for this job and I have a few spools of it I would like to use up. In the end I went back to my normal .030 and all problems went away. Maybe using .030 will help with your issues also. I was using my 180a/s also.

Default Update

Got my machine back about a week ago with no change, still bangs the wire (.023) or melts into the tip and still cant stitch weld with it. Shop claims everything changed but cant tell me if it was an upgraded board or not, either way I am done. Looking at the Hobart 190w/spool gun on sale at Northern tools. I dont know if it has anything to do with "autoset" or not and apparently the small Lincolns have about the same thing.
    TB 302
    Sync 250 DX
    MM 180 Auto
    Lincoln tombstone
    DVI-2
    Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway

Could it be that your liner I too large, probably, and why are you running 023 anyways, the drive roils are set up for 030, which just purrs along.

Take it back, if you were really taking it in at all. I just don't buy that Miller is giving you grief. I have spent hours with them on the phone over the last 20 years troubleshooting broken welders, and even when the machine was older, never had an issue with the techs not wanting to help. LWS, totally different story, biggest bunch of blow hards I have ever heard.
    BTW, checking your line voltage does very little in your diagnostic process. A loose connection in your breaker, wall outlet, machine cord, etc, will show normal voltage until it is being used. I just had some issues with my XMT not welding right, had a loose wire in my extension cord. Also, I have a roll of .023 and I just wont load it up anymore due to feed problems. Swap to .030, check all your wire connections and you will likely find it.

Walker said " if you were really taking it in at all" really? Why would I lie. That is no help at all, only insulting. Machine does the same thing no matter where it is plugged in at, including LWS where I took it for service. I am using a .023 liner.

I do ornamental work and have to make hundreds of half inch welds on a gate or fence panels. As we all know if I lay a project flat on my table and weld one side at a time it will warp, regardless of how much heat is put into it. My goal is to put as little heat in as possible so i don't have heat it straight so much when finished. it is just not practical to flip and rotate my welds on a 300 pound project to avoid warping.

I had real good luck with my little Lincoln SP 125 but I sold it to upgrade to a Miller since I have had such good luck with my other Miller machines. I guess I'm just trying to use the wrong machine for the purpose I need it for.
    TB 302
    Sync 250 DX
    MM 180 Auto
    Lincoln tombstone
    DVI-2
    Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway

My MM172 was sputtering yesterday running .023, tightened the drive mechanism a bit more and turned it up to 5 and 90 from 4 and 85 and it ran like a top.
    Last edited by tackit; 05-10-2014 at 12:26 PM.