Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Line voltage is good, one of the first things I checked. I have changed guns with the same results. Changed liners, ground and yes the polarity is correct. It is like somebody is toggling a switch back and forth and no consistency when it acts up. I understand power from a generator is different than line voltage but it is a consistent difference. This thing is a bad machine and canít get Miller or my LWS to help, I feel itís a problem with the machine because it has done this right out of the box. I think Iím starting to see red.
    TB 302
    Sync 250 DX
    MM 180 Auto
    Lincoln tombstone
    DVI-2
    Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway

Lets answer a few important questions first. What type and size wire are you using? What size and type rollers are you using? Flux core=knerrled rollers, solid wire=v-groove, aluminum=u-groove. And the numbers have to match. Yeh the 180 may pull more power than the DVI, but you probably took the spool of wire out the DVI and threw it in the 180. Chances are you didn't check to see if its compatable. Most trouble is operator error. So,,Go buy a Lincoln, and when you can't figure out that machine complain to them how your "Blue in the face"!
    Last edited by ja baudin; 11-14-2013 at 08:32 PM.

Dynasty 200 DX
    Diversion 180 (FOR SALE)
    Millermatic 350P, XR-Aluma-Pro
    30A Spoolgun
    Lincoln Pro Mig 140
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    14" Rage Evolution 360
    40 ton press brake
    Shop full of tools

If you could get me the serial number off your machine, the name of the LWS you are dealing with and who you are working with there I will check into this.

You can e-mail me at kschuh@millerwelds.com
    Kevin Schuh
    Service Technician
    Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

Metalpuddler,

I have the same model Millermatic 180 and I have been having the same problems as you have described. I bought the welder at the beginning of 2013 and it had problems right out of the box. I've tried tightening all of the ground leads, replacing the ground clamp, replacing the gun liner, replacing the gun, three different manufacturers of wire, etc. As an electrician, I have made sure that the wiring and electricity coming into the garage is correct. I've taken it to my LWS and talked to the techs at Miller and nothing helped.

From what you have described it seems that we are experiencing many of the same problems as well as others. I just wanted to let you and others know that this doesn't seem to be an isolated incident and see if we can come up with any other ways to solve these problems.

Default I have the same set up

Quote Originally Posted by metalpuddler View Post
    Purchased new about a year ago, had trouble right out of the box. I do wrought iron work and use a generator for power. Had been using my DVI 2 for years with a 7000w gen for years with no problem, just got tired of dragging it around. Decided to buy a 180 autoset and put it on a two wheeler for ease of moving around. Problem is my 7000w genny wont run it, kills the gen. Had to switch to a 10000w genny just to weld at 25 percent. Contacted miller about this issue to which they were no help at all, put the issue off as new technology.

My other issue with this machine is that on line voltage (230-240) it is so inconsistent. Will weld fine for a short time and then suddenly act like someone cranked up the wire speed and start banging the weld with wire or, just the opposite and burning the wire up to the tip. Again no help from Miller or my LWS. I am absolutely tired of jacking with this. I have been a dedicated Miller user for more than thirty years but now am seriously considering going red.

IdeasÖÖ.anyone?
    My Millermatic 180 only pulls 23 amps @240 volt so I have trouble understanding the need for a 10 KW generator. I run mine on a 50 amp-240 volt circuit on my Miller Bobcat and run it on a 30 amp circuit in my home shop. My Millermatic is the autoset and I have had a problem occassionially but resolved it by checking the contact tip, tightening it, switching off the auto set and checking the wire feed. Sounds like you might want to check your liner. It is just maybe my imagination, but I think maybe the quality of the ground on the base metal may fool the auto set. The red machines in this price range do not seem to weld as good.

Default Update

Have gone round and round again with my welder, here is where I stand today. Line voltage checked by licensed electrician, ground clamp change (again), new liner and tip (.023), knurled roller, correct polarity, fresh gas, different brand of wire, new clean metal.
    Just for giggles I ran a few welds with the machine on auto set and it runs perfectly on long well setup joints. Problem is I cant always set up a perfect joint in the field or in the shop. I build gates for a living now and use a lot of 16g material, some are square some are not, some have arches that come into a straight edge. Bottom line at some point I will have to stitch weld (who hasn't at some time). Try and use one of these on auto set and try to stitch weld and you will see what I am up against. It acts like it is hunting for wire speed or voltage and only makes my job harder. That being said I like to weld a little wetter than auto set anyway.
    Going to an authorized service center with samples tomorrow and see what they say. Will post results.
    TB 302
    Sync 250 DX
    MM 180 Auto
    Lincoln tombstone
    DVI-2

Default good news

It failed miserably at the service center, i was also told there was an update for it. will keep my fingers crossed.
    TB 302
    Sync 250 DX
    MM 180 Auto
    Lincoln tombstone
    DVI-2

UPDATE

Got a call from my LWS, my machine is to be completely rebuilt. My thanks go out to Kevin and Jason at Miller.
    TB 302
    Sync 250 DX
    MM 180 Auto
    Lincoln tombstone
    DVI-2

Good to hear things appear to be looking up with the machine but FYI, you should be using "V" groove drive rolls for MIG.

Knurled are for flux core and can cause feed problems with solid wire due to burrs on and possible distortion of the wire as well as a build up of metal flakes/dust in the liner as a result.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Yes I know "V" groove is the drive wheel to use, it was suggested that I use knurled to check for wire feed problem
    TB 302
    Sync 250 DX
    MM 180 Auto
    Lincoln tombstone
    DVI-2