Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Millermatic 180 inconsistent welding

Purchased new about a year ago, had trouble right out of the box. I do wrought iron work and use a generator for power. Had been using my DVI 2 for years with a 7000w gen for years with no problem, just got tired of dragging it around. Decided to buy a 180 autoset and put it on a two wheeler for ease of moving around. Problem is my 7000w genny wont run it, kills the gen. Had to switch to a 10000w genny just to weld at 25 percent. Contacted miller about this issue to which they were no help at all, put the issue off as new technology.

My other issue with this machine is that on line voltage (230-240) it is so inconsistent. Will weld fine for a short time and then suddenly act like someone cranked up the wire speed and start banging the weld with wire or, just the opposite and burning the wire up to the tip. Again no help from Miller or my LWS. I am absolutely tired of jacking with this. I have been a dedicated Miller user for more than thirty years but now am seriously considering going red.

Ideas…….anyone?
    TB 302
    Sync 250 DX
    MM 180 Auto
    Lincoln tombstone
    DVI-2
    Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway

Have you plugged into a hard line to see if it welds properly?

yes, read 2nd paragraph. thanks for responding.
    TB 302
    Sync 250 DX
    MM 180 Auto
    Lincoln tombstone
    DVI-2
    Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway

Have you measured your line voltage to make sure you are really getting what you think you have? Also have you measured the ac frequency coming out of the Genny plus the real vac?
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Although I have encountered some issues with generator power if you are getting poor results on wall power then something is wrong. I would start by looking at any possible wire feeding issues, you would also want to check the work clamp (make sure it is in good shape and the cable connection is in good condition and tight). From there you may want to try a differnt gun if you haven't already tried that.

What size and type of wire are you using?
    Kevin Schuh
    Service Technician
    Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

Sorry it was a long night, it's kinda sounds like an intermittent connection problem either in the ground clamp or at machine or gun/connection

Take it to the LWS and see if you can duplicate the problem n front of them.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

I will tell you this. People bash my Hobart welders but the welders are great and customer service is out of this world. They will stay with you until your problem is solved. The Tech i have dealt with was Bill and he was great.
    Contact Miller and tell them your issues and let them lead you to the solution. If they don't i agree switch brands because their are to many top brands out their to be held up on a simple issue. I hate to hear about issues that the manufacturer won't help resolve. Shame on the dealers too.......Just saying......
    HH 210MVP
    Spoolrunner 100
    Powercraft AC buzz box
    Lotas LTP5000D plasma
    Victor Oxy/Acet
    30 ton press
    A few brand name tools
    Lots of no name tools
    A wife to worry me
    and 4 dogs to supervise me

Shouldn't it still be under warranty? And just to throw my other $.02 in. I agree with really checking your ground and your liner. Something could be causing it to hang. Also not trying to be a smart a$$ because you have been welding for yeas, could polarity be set wrong?

I've got a miller 252. I was having some of the exact same problems. It was constantly blowing back into the tip over and over. Some days it ran just fine though. In longer passes the lead would start shaking real bad and the wire would just seem to spit out and/or eventually fizzle out and quit feeding. I kicked that thing so many times I'm surprised it's not broken. Every test our weld supplier ran on it was negative for any defaults. Then our company moved to a new building and we haven't had any issues with it. We came to the conclusion that it was most likely the power supply to the building.