Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Project, Miller Discussions, Ethics, and Input Please

We just finished a one off custom truck bed, all aluminum, all tig. It was for a 75 year old to haul his Razer on his 2012 Silverado that is towed behind his huge fifth wheel that is towed by a custom Peterbilt 385. Yeah, he's a little long, about eighty feet, but what a sight!

When we started it we were using my old old 250 Dialarc with an even older high frequency box and an air cooled scratch start torch. We agreed I would submit the finished project in the Miller Built event.

When we were about 85% done I had a chance to pick up a Lincoln Invertec tig machine at a heckuva price. We finished the job with it.

Three of us know the truth, two of us believe since it was welded mostly with Miller stuff and the welding table was the Arcfit then we should enter it. I disagree, using the Invertec for anything makes it ineligible.

What say you?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would love to enter it because we got really lucky on it, came together great.

Cut out and reweld the Linclone joints. Then enter it.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Um, this is one of the entries: http://www.millerwelds.com/landing/w...id=8519300253I This is a photo of the project being entered I think your project more than qualifies!!! And the rules only say that you shouldn't mention brands that are not Miller - not that every part of the project was done with Miller equipment. The winning entries are selected at random, not on merit.....

At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

Quote Originally Posted by mbramble View Post
    Um, this is one of the entries: http://www.millerwelds.com/landing/w...id=8519300253I This is a photo of the project being entered I think your project more than qualifies!!! And the rules only say that you shouldn't mention brands that are not Miller - not that every part of the project was done with Miller equipment. The winning entries are selected at random, not on merit.....
    It's all good, I guess that question is up to Miller. I'm dying for advice, I have a Dialark HF, with TIG, Water cooled welder and torch, I'm not really experienced with TIG. Are there newer machines that can make me a better welder, or with practice can I do a good job with the Dialark HF?

I have a friend who was convinced throwing enough money at buying equipment would make him a great skier. 18 years later, thousands of dollars later, he still doesn't ski as well as he wishes. I don't want to use that sort of thinking, unless it will make my product better.

What machine under 5000 dollars is best?

Goodluck!
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, BOBCAT 250
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator View Post
    Goodluck!
    Thanks. Miller treats their customer right on these contests. I was fortunate enough in 2010 to participate and our trip to Appleton is still a life highlight.

Default Project, Miller Discussions, Ethics, and Input Please

Awesome work. I would enter it and let them decide all they can say is no. Best of luck

Harv,

You could at least have painted the truck or the Razer blue.
    Miller stuff:
    Dialarc 250 (1974)
    Syncrowave 250 (1992)
    Spot welder (Dayton badged)