Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: tig machine

Default tig machine

Looking into buying a tig welder for all types of welds nd excotic metals

Quote Originally Posted by welder boy44 View Post
    Looking into buying a tig welder for all types of welds nd excotic metals
    What is your budget for a TIG..??

and what do you plan on welding...
    Last edited by H80N; 11-08-2013 at 06:59 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

No budget...structural to pipe to all kinds off position and edges need a allvaround machine for the unexpected im a student welder still goin to school but making my rig for my job

No budget...structural to pipe to all kinds off position and edges need a allvaround machine for the unexpected im a student welder still goin to school but making my rig for my job
    So $4000-$12000 for a Dynasty DX would be no problem for you??

If money is no problem then a Miller Dynasty DX in amperage from 200-700 depending on your needs is the way to go..

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...astyseries.php
    Last edited by H80N; 11-08-2013 at 08:06 PM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

A dynasty 350 would be a "good start."

It would cover most of your exotic, carbon steel, stainless welding. There is a 700 amp machine too that h80n referred to. That would really take care of ALL the tig welding you need to do.

So, No budget? I could really use a dynasty 280. Could you buy one for me while you at it? Heck, I'll go halves with ya on it.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

The previous posters were right on point. The Dynastys will give you all the bells and whistles needed to weld your exotic metals. In fact the welder is cheap in perspective.

Do it right.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Im using some of my financial aid money to buy it and what I make at my job..dynasty sounds intresting ill take a look into it any tips on tig techniques

Thumbs up

Im using some of my financial aid money to buy it and what I make at my job..dynasty sounds intresting ill take a look into it any tips on tig techniques
    You might spend some time in the TIG video library learning what makes the Dynasty series so versatile...

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/video_library/

AND.. YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...+dynasty&sm=12
    Last edited by H80N; 11-09-2013 at 07:56 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Thumbs up Student Life... Finances...

OK…. Sounds like you do not really have unlimited funds..

Just reprioritizing the resources available?? … and possibly planning on a Ramen diet to help fund the plan??…

With that in mind…. IF.. you can really afford to do it....A good place to start would be the Dynasty 200DX… it is a great machine and very portable at 45 lbs…with a proven track record.. has plenty of capability and can be carried to the worksite..

Or stored in an apartment closet when not in use…the life of a student being what it is… (gas bottle will be a pain regardless)

The larger machines… 350 & 700 can be grown into and purchased later when you have a shop setting

(cannot comment on the Dynasty 280 yet.... as it is still too new.. pretty much a unicorn with no general distribution or track record and I have no experience with it..… but it does sound very promising)

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...p?model=M00118

The Dynasty 200DX is by no means a "Beginners Unit" it is a full featured kick-backside TIG machine... many guys and shops have them for portable on site work in addition to their larger shop bound Dynasty 350DX or 700DX....
    (I am one of them...)

lots to think about...

BTW... the front panel/menu switchology is pretty much the same across the Dynasty family... so if you can set up and run one.... you can run any of them...
    Last edited by H80N; 11-10-2013 at 06:49 AM.

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Default Syncrowave

A Dynasty is great, but a lot of money. If you want a good basic TIG, without spending a lot of money, it is hard to beat a used Miller Syncrowave 180 or 200. I have owned both, both are good. Both have High Frequency, AC and DC, so you can weld any metal, including aluminum. Both include stick and TIG. The original version of the Syncrowave 180 is arguably better for beginners, as it has minimal controls, three switches and one knob, simple to use. The later version of the 180 (180SD) added an AC balance knob and digital displays. The 200 has lots of bells and whistles, including pulse, which I like for thin copper. The 180 is a little smaller, but both are relatively big and heavy, around 200 pounds. Figure on at least a 50 amp 220V circuit for either welder, which is what I use. Some recommend a 60 amp 220V breaker.

I bought the 200 for $1300, too good a deal to pass up, and then sold my Synchrowave 180 for $1150. The 180 price that I got was probably higher than average, and the 200 price that I paid was lower than average, so I did very well, paid only $150 to upgrade.

Anyway, for somewhere between $900 and $1500, you can buy a used Syncrowave 180 or 200, and have a welder that will probably serve all your needs for decades. If you buy used, and you decide you need a bigger or fancier welder down the road, you can get almost all your money back when you sell it. You will take a big depreciation hit if you buy a new welder and sell it later. With these Syncrowaves you can TIG weld any thin metal up to about 3/16 inch, and you can stick weld any steel 1/8 inch or thicker. I used the 180 as a stick welder for months before I got around to buying an argon bottle. Some report that the 180 had a higher than average repair rate, but my original version 180 gave me no trouble.

Alternatives to a Syncrowave: The Miller Diversion lacks stick. Stick is what you need to weld thick steel. The Dynasty is a great welder, but way too much money unless you have to have easy portability, or need 110V. (Note that a 20 amp 120Volt outlet will only run a welder at very reduced power, so 110V operation is not that great an advantage). If you need portability, you could consider a Thermal Arc 186 AC/DC, maybe half the price of a Dynasty. The Miller EconoTIG looks good on paper, but a Miller factory guy said that it was not that great, that the Syncrowave 180 was a much better machine. Lincoln makes the Square Wave 175, and Precision TIG 225, similar to the Syncrowaves, look for a used Lincoln as a possible alternative. Many if not most inverter welders are DC only, so you can’t TIG aluminum. (Examples: Multimatic 200, XMT series, Maxstar series, the new Thermal Arc multi-process welders, Lincoln V350 and C300, etc.) The Chinese machines from Longevity and Everlast have an attractive price, but resale value, reliability, and support are concerns.

Note that many inverter welders, such as the Dynasty or Invertec series, do not come standard with a TIG torch, regulator, and foot pedal, so they are even more expensive than they look at first glance. The Syncrowaves come with everything you need except a gas bottle. The welder manufacturers are pushing their high end inverter machines, but it is hard to justify the much higher cost, especially when you can find a used Syncrowave for not much more than $1000. They have sold a lot of Syncrowaves, so you should be able to find a used one if you look.

Just for comparison, a new Syncrowave 200 retails for $2900, a new Syncrowave 210 retails for $3200, a new Dynasty 200DX with torch, regulator, foot pedal, etc., retails for $5100. On the used market, the Dynasty 200 welders are hard to find, and priced around $3000. The Syncrowaves are easier to find used, and priced right.

The Syncrowave 250 is an industry classic, a great machine, but big and heavy, and more expensive. It should probably have a 100 amp 220V circuit, especially if you want to get full power out of it. The 250 is just more welder than most folks need, unless you need to TIG 1/4 inch thick aluminum.

Richard