Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need some advice - stick or mig?

Hey all, I've got a personal project I'm working on and am getting pulled in a couple of difference directions so I figured I'd see if you guys could help.
    I've got to weld some grouser bars onto a sheet of steel. The sheet is about 1/4" thick, and the bars are 1"x2" (stood on edge, so it will be 2" tall, layed out at 45 degree angles). I have a Miller 252 running 75/25 gas, .035 70s6 wire. I'm an average welder on my good days. Some who know about this project have suggested that stick welding would be better with probably a 7018 rod. I am pretty familiar with stick welding but have never done it...I've never even struck an arc with one before. I do have access to a stick welder though. My question is, is there really an advantage here to one over the other? Especially considering I will be learning the stick as I go? These bars are under a ton of pressure and need to hold, so I'm open to any suggestions.
    Thanks for any help.

Justin

Cool

Your mig set up and 7018 should be equal. I would think the metal would tear away from the weld if they came loose...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

aametalmaster
    Your mig set up and 7018 should be equal. I would think the metal would tear away from the weld if they came loose...Bob

+1

and your mig will be mucho faster without the flux to clean

I would definitely use the process you are comfortable with if it is a critical part. With that said, it really doesn't sound like you should be welding anything critical based on your question. No offense, just throwing it out there, but maybe you should have it welded by a professional.

I go Mig if I can get to the job, If there is climbing and places I can't out the Mig with inside 10 feet or so, then bring on the rods.

Thicker steel butt joint or situations where penetration is a have to, 6010 wins every time for me. Got a boom truck tomorrow evening, don't know much about its problems.

Taking stick, Mig and a dry rig (tig off engine drive) and that should cover about anything. I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    I would definitely use the process you are comfortable with if it is a critical part. With that said, it really doesn't sound like you should be welding anything critical based on your question. No offense, just throwing it out there, but maybe you should have it welded by a professional.
    I won't argue against that at all. I have several great welders at my disposal, it's just a money thing that keeps me from hiring them.

Quote Originally Posted by ParkerFly View Post
    Hey all, I've got a personal project I'm working on and am getting pulled in a couple of difference directions so I figured I'd see if you guys could help.
    I've got to weld some grouser bars onto a sheet of steel. The sheet is about 1/4" thick, and the bars are 1"x2" (stood on edge, so it will be 2" tall, layed out at 45 degree angles). I have a Miller 252 running 75/25 gas, .035 70s6 wire. I'm an average welder on my good days. Some who know about this project have suggested that stick welding would be better with probably a 7018 rod. I am pretty familiar with stick welding but have never done it...I've never even struck an arc with one before. I do have access to a stick welder though. My question is, is there really an advantage here to one over the other? Especially considering I will be learning the stick as I go? These bars are under a ton of pressure and need to hold, so I'm open to any suggestions.
    Thanks for any help.

Justin
    I am no expert by any means! That being said-I would use the Miller 252 with flux core wire. You don't have to worry about getting gas coverage in the joint. And you don't have to try to get a stick into the tight corner! IMO

Getting a stick into a tight corner? I would think that that would be the best thing for a "tight corner" far better than any mig gun setup (flux core or not).

In this instance...My vote is for MIG....

with proper joint prep it will be as strong or stronger than stick... and a lot less fuss...

You already have the MM252.. a very capable machine.. more than equal to the job... why futz with stick?? industry has moved to MIG for production.. why not the rest of us..

Anything that I would have done with stick years ago has been taken care of handily by my MM350P or MM200... for the last several years... been a few years since I even burnt a stick

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

If you were "me" I'd stick weld it cause that's what I do but if I was "you" I'd mig weld it cause that's the process you're familiar with. If you lay down some good beads and there is really that much pressure on it, the blocks will likely rip chunks out of the plate if/when they fail. Care to share what you're building?---Meltedmetal