Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Back in business

Sorry guys for disappearing its been a rough year for me, 13 year relationship ended and it had me in a bind for a while, but I am finally free and ready to get back to business.

I want to buy an oxy/acetylene setup asap. My question is, is it even worth getting the 10 and 20# tanks or should I just get the torch setup and buy say 80 oxy tank and 40 acetylene?

Or just get the set with the small tanks so I will have them, any idea say for brazing how long them little tanks will last? I guess I should just get it with little tanks so at least I will have portability if I need it. Then just buy the bigger tanks down the road.

Thanks In advance,

PMAC is back in the house.

What exactly do you plan to use them for? Small oxygen bottles do not last long if you do any cutting.

Figuring how long they last. Divide regulator low side pressure into tank size. If you run 40# for cutting a 20cf tank will last 1/2 hour approx. If you run 10# on a 20cf tank it will last 2 hours approx.
    Last edited by MMW; 11-17-2013 at 06:19 AM.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Why not just rent the full size tanks for the year? Those little tanks just don't cut it with a rosebud tip for heating, not enough surface area to extract sufficient acetylene.---Meltedmetal

Those little acet tanks scare me. Just not enough safe flow except for very small work.
    Miller stuff:
    Dialarc 250 (1974 vintage)
    Syncrowave 250
    Spot welder (Dayton badged)

Hmmmmmm, ya I was figuring them tanks would be pretty much useless except for like cutting a rusty bolt off or something like that.

So skip the package with the small tanks? Let me ask ya this, is the torch setup they sell at home depot or lowes any good or skip that too? I don't want to buy garbo, Its why I put the money out for the millermatic 211. Reason I ask about the torch setup at home depot, or lowes is cause I have credit there, but if its junk I will wait and get it from a welding supply, I really don't know what makes them good or not, I have a lot of learning to do.

Is the Lincoln electric cut/ weld kit Garbage??? its the one they sell at the big box stores. Model # KH777. if its no good can you recommend one for me.

Default Back in business

As for the torch sets at big box stores, I've never picked one up, so I'm of no help there. But, if you take your time and hit a few garage sales and you might run across a great deal. It has worked well for me and I own it... No credit crap.

The title of this thread is "back in business" so one would assume that these will be used in a business. But your posts seem otherwise. You still haven't given any info on what you will be using them for or how often other than referencing "brazing". No one can give you a good answer or recommendation without knowing what you need it for.

In general terms the equipment you buy from a LWS is better than a big box store which is why there is a price difference. Not saying the cheaper stuff is bad it's just geared toward a different user, homeowner/hobbiest vs. tradesman/business.
    Last edited by MMW; 11-19-2013 at 06:54 AM.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24