Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default AEAD 200le Problems please help

I have had a AEAD200le for many years and it always worked great. The other day I needed to repair a hay spike for my neighbor and I fired it up. It came on idles up on high and seconds later idled down as usual. I then tried to strike and it looked like a weak 4th of july sparkler. I then checked the voltage leaving the 110 volt plug and was getting 28volts at low idle and 40volts at high speed. I checked the brushes and saw the middle brush was very short and sparking where it contacted at. I figured this had to be the problem I bought new brushes and installed and same thing very weak spark and low voltage. I then cleaned the bands on the taps and checked again same thing. PLease help the machine has been sitting probably a year without running. What could it be.

Bump for help

Rotor is damaged, these units had troble with the winding to slip ring wire comming loose. You will have to gain access to the sliprings and dig the winding wire out. Reinsulate it and either extend the wire to the slip ring or merely "LOW TEMP SILVER SOLDER" like STAYBRITE back to the slip ring. I stick it to the side of the slip ring.

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Rotor is damaged, these units had troble with the winding to slip ring wire comming loose. You will have to gain access to the sliprings and dig the winding wire out. Reinsulate it and either extend the wire to the slip ring or merely "LOW TEMP SILVER SOLDER" like STAYBRITE back to the slip ring. I stick it to the side of the slip ring.
    What is the easiest way to test and find which one is bad. Doesnt sound like good news or an easy fix.

Not a bad fix, and way less expensive than trying to find an obsolete rotor. Basically the easiest way to find it is to look at the slip rings themselves 2 will be brassy, with the other looking burned or unused

• Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
      Not a bad fix, and way less expensive than trying to find an obsolete rotor. Basically the easiest way to find it is to look at the slip rings themselves 2 will be brassy, with the other looking burned or unused

Ok I removed the brushes and ohmed across the slip rings all three had resistance. All three look very clean and brassy none look like they have discolored at all. Would this be a correct way to check the slip rings and windings???
    Last edited by scline74; 11-06-2013 at 06:10 PM.

???

Quote Originally Posted by scline74 View Post
    Ok I removed the brushes and ohmed across the slip rings all three had resistance. All three look very clean and brassy none look like they have discolored at all. Would this be a correct way to check the slip rings and windings???

No, but what you want to do is check the resistance to frame off the slip rings wires off,

Probably ok, so we are looking at SR2, a small control bridge, or more likely the voltage control board is smoked. you do have some auxillary but its low do control diode D4 is ok. Now there is a finned cupped box on the board. Inside that box are 2 scr's. one will likely be cracked, so replace em both.
    Last edited by cruizer; 11-07-2013 at 02:26 PM.

I finally found the problem after a week of beating my head against the wall. Turns out that the f1 fuse would ohm correctly but the filiament inside must have been loose. When the motor would start the voltage leaving the fuse was erratic. I replaced the fuse and it now works like a champ. Isnt that crazy the fuse will still check as good when removed but with any vibration will loose internal contact.

Glad you found the problem. Always start with the simple, more common basics and work your way to the deeper unusual.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110