Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

If it was here I'd find the problem is 10 minutes. online its a crap shoot. Really it'll be best to take the unit in somewhere for verification.

Cruizer - I really appreciate your help and I'm happy to follow instructions from you. I called my closest miller shop and they charge a $140 minimum just to look at it without purchasing any parts, etc. I'm not making money with this welder, it is a hobby welder for me... my budget isn't big and this isn't a tax writeoff.

If you any further advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Check T3 resistance R12/13

R1 - .3ohm
    R2 - .3ohm
    R3 - 198ohm
    R4 - 200ohm
    R5-10 - Not checked yet
    R12 - 0.03Ohm Measured between PC7 RC3-1 and RC4-1
    R13 - 0.02Ohm Measured between electrode and PC6 RC14-7 (nothing unplugged)
    R14 - 37.87kOhm
    Last edited by wumpscut223; 11-22-2013 at 02:35 PM.

bump

unplug your remote, with a piece of mig wire or a paper clip jumper A & B on the machine amphenol Does the HF come on

Jumpering A to B closes the contactor as if I was stepping on the pedal. The output light turns on. When HF is selected it is still intermittent. When HF is working the sparks are weak and are not arriving 700 times per second, it is much slower.

Of note - today while welding - output from the machine stopped. When depressing my remote pedal the display was functioning and showing the output amperage (variable with pedal movement) but there was no weld output, no shielding gas (the solenoid didn't click) and the pre/post flow counters did not run. I tried moving the remote/cord looking for an internal wire problem and I couldn't duplicate it. It started working again a few minutes later.
    Last edited by wumpscut223; 12-01-2013 at 12:39 PM.

See the problem is that everything test fine, and your HF should be working, A & B jumpered runs the contactor, HF, Gas and such.

Do we have a bad relay" (relays are board mounted)

Do we have a failed relay in the pedal. possible, bad remote all together? possible.

Bad conduit in the torch, possible, Short to frame ground? possible,

Working on a table with a non osolated grinder plug? possible

Primary cable hooked up wrong by using the red lead? Possible

Just too many variables. This machine is extremely error sensitive, but its not pulling any.

I just don't know unless it was sitting in my shop.

Cruizer,

I appreciate you playing the game with me...I can reason through most of those...

Bad Relay? Very possible

Bad Remote? Possible but if A to B engages HF, when the remote is working, everything should be working and it is not. So - I think this is highly unlikely.

Bad torch conduit/short - It could be possible, but HF would be running strong on the PC7 card all the time. When HF isnt running on the torch end, the spark gap isn't running on the torch end. I think also unlikely.

Working on a table with a non-isolated plug? I'm not sure what you mean by this. A lot of my welding is done on the ground, cement floor.

Primary wrong? I'm not sure what you mean there.

What relays are you concerned with? Which relay is controlling the +15VDC that goes to the PC7? I will be with the machine the next 6 hours and can check for you as needed.

[QUOTE=wumpscut223;314689]Cruizer,

I appreciate you playing the game with me...I can reason through most of those...

Bad Relay? Very possible

Bad Remote? Possible but if A to B engages HF, when the remote is working, everything should be working and it is not. So - I think this is highly unlikely.
    Still possible if the pedals control cable has shorted into the potententiometer leads

Bad torch conduit/short - It could be possible, but HF would be running strong on the PC7 card all the time. When HF isnt running on the torch end, the spark gap isn't running on the torch end. I think also unlikely. If the torch cable conduit is bad you'll still get some output but hf will not travel throughit well and back feed

Working on a table with a non-isolated plug? I'm not sure what you mean by this. A lot of my welding is done on the ground, cement floor. Alot of people weld on a outlet box, with non isolated receptacles, this mkes the table live, The machine doesn't like it much.

Primary wrong? I'm not sure what you mean there. 3 phse machine. If you use the red on single phase, there isn't much auxillary, and bad things will occur.

What relays are you concerned with? Which relay is controlling the +15VDC that goes to the PC7? I will be with the machine the next 6 hours and can check for you as needed