Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Question Miller Vintage Performance Drop Off

Hey guys,

I have a question. First understand what I do not know about welders and welding would fill volumes and volumes.

I have a Miller VINTAGE welder running 220 from a house line. There is maybe a 50' extension cord from the meter to the machine.

I start to weld and I can get some good bacon sounds going but maybe 3-5 minutes into welding it seems like the voltage drops or something goes awry. It just seems like it's strength drops off.

Is there a name for this and is there a part inside I can change to try to fix it?

TIA!

Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by .Artisan. View Post
    Hey guys,

I have a question. First understand what I do not know about welders and welding would fill volumes and volumes.

I have a Miller VINTAGE welder running 220 from a house line. There is maybe a 50' extension cord from the meter to the machine.

I start to weld and I can get some good bacon sounds going but maybe 3-5 minutes into welding it seems like the voltage drops or something goes awry. It just seems like it's strength drops off.

Is there a name for this and is there a part inside I can change to try to fix it?

TIA!

Artisan
    What gauge is the extention cord ?

........Norm

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

100% likely its the gun, try replacing the liner first.

I recently had a loose screw on one of the terminals on one of my cords.

Quote Originally Posted by nfinch86 View Post
    What gauge is the extention cord ?

........Norm
    Norm it is a Yellow heavy x-tension cord. The OD of the cord is 9/16" .

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    100% likely its the gun, try replacing the liner first.
    The liner was replaced in recent past, what would you suggest 2nd?

Norm it is a Yellow heavy x-tension cord. The OD of the cord is 9/16" .
    Does the cord or plug get warm?

The liner was replaced in recent past, what would you suggest 2nd?
    Liner can be ruined the day it is installed. Pull it and check it out.

Liner, tip, or plugged wire guide to the drive rolls, especially if you using a absolutely useless lubricated wire felt cleaner.