Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Just got a response back from miller tech. They said 30a is maximum and 10/3 is minimum recommended for 100'.
    Im still with you guys on the 8/3 though except for price...

up here in the great white north,
    $110 for 100' of 10/3 SOOW
    $350 for 100' of 8/3 SO

cannot find 8/3 SJOW locally for the life of me
    Last edited by aleroux1080; 11-04-2013 at 02:40 PM.

I paid $130 for a 50' 8/3 soow cord with 6-50 ends a couple years ago. I can still find them on fleabay and such for similar prices. I know it has the wrong plug, but a short adapter to your drier plug would give you flexibility for when you have a real shop with good power (sounds like that is what you want in the future?). you would have to run 2 cords together to get the 100' you need but that is $260 for 100' of length and then likely another $40 or so to build a 4-6' adapter cord.

I was working at a new place last year and the shop was wired up with 14-50r everywhere so i just made a small adapter. Pretty easy to do and now I can my equipment off 6-50r or 14-50r receptacles. Just one more thing to have or do. I'm happy I went with 8/3 because later on down the road i picked up a mm251 and I needed the heavy gauge wire to run it. It wasn't in my original plan but it came in handy. Food for thought..
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Default 100' extension cord dynasty 200dx

I would NOT use 10/3 unless your machine is 575 volts at 15 amps. Your amperage is what determines the gauge of wire. Any reputable electrical supplier can help you with this. Also I use Hubble twist lock ends they're rated for 30 amps and I love them.

I will be picking up some 8/3 SO from LWS this Friday. Definitely the better idea incase I decide to add a larger mig down the road or run anything else demanding.
    I also loved the twist lock ends for safety/ease etc, my wallet does not love them...
    I will be wiring a 30a 2flat1ground1Lneutral plug (not sure of the plug number) into the dryer end, leaving out the neutral L prong, and then at the welder end it will be wired to an old style 3 prong 230V30A plug to match the one on my welder. Meaning I will likely be the only one able to plug it in. No one can borrow my welder
    If I do need to travel, a different style plug is a $30 15 minute change. No biggie.

Thanks for everyone's input

-Andre

I would go with L6-30 connectors, then make a adapter to go from the L6-30p to your dryer. Adapter will cost $30 from homedepot. Having shop connectors will pay off down the road, if you ever get a real workshop you will likely have L6-30 receptacles installed. Then, if you have to run the welder at a friends/customers house you can still adapt to the dryer receptacle. I would also recommend splitting your 100' extension into two 50'. Put connectors on both, then you can have more options down the road and won't have to bust out a monster cord to get 15'... Just my advice, these are all how I am set up and I take advantage of all the above all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by aleroux1080 View Post
    Just got a response back from miller tech. They said 30a is maximum and 10/3 is minimum recommended for 100'.
    Im still with you guys on the 8/3 though except for price...

up here in the great white north,
    $110 for 100' of 10/3 SOOW
    $350 for 100' of 8/3 SO

cannot find 8/3 SJOW locally for the life of me
    Stu,
    110' 8/3 SOOW delivered to your home free shipping $230

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-SOOW-8-3...8#ht_936wt_679

Nick

Most eBay sellers will ship free to an address in USA. I'm im canada. I think one I looked at was going to cost $70 shipping up here. It's the same for pretty much anything I want. Good prices online down there, decent availability, shipping is over the moon. Up here prices are high and availability is low.

Also, stu was the second poster.
    Im andre (the OP)
    Thanks for the thought kiwi, I will be scouring eBay and the like for 8/3 with decent shipping to canada, as the quote I got today from local elec. supply is $290

You could always try ebay Canada..

they have extensions too...

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_trksi...at=0&_from=R40

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

It's usually my first stop after eBay.com. Prices are same if not more than local elec supply. Plus all the time spent waiting. What I need is a good buddy that lives in northern Washington...

Default 100' extension cord dynasty 200dx

Remember that welding extension cords are also a very important investment, if you under gauge you can not only burn your cord and everything around it, you can also burn out your very expensive equipment.