Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Thermal Arc Fabricator 252i

I sold my MM 252 awhile back and I'm looking at a Thermal arc 252i as a replacement. I watched a video over at welding tips and tricks and it has perked my interest. Anyone have any thoughts or input? BTW I got the old Hobart CR 300 going. Thanks Cruiser.
    Syncrowave 350lx
    XMT 350 CC/CV
    S74DX Feeder
    30a spoolgun
    Hypertherm 1000 g3
    Harris O/A
    Cincinnati lathe
    Acer Ultima "Bridgeport Mill"
    340hp Quincy and 400 gallon of air
    Other doodads and a stoker coal stove

I demoed one, it seemed very nice.

I had asked a year or so ago at my LWS, and they had no opinion about the 252i. When I asked recently, they were very negative on it, indicating that they had had problems with more than one of them.

Honestly, I was ready to buy a 252i, but they talked me out of it. In some ways the 252i would be kind of a dream welder for me, small, 300 amps output, and multiprocess. But it looks like I will instead be buying a Millermatic 211 before the end of the year.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by sledsports View Post
    I sold my MM 252 awhile back and I'm looking at a Thermal arc 252i as a replacement. I watched a video over at welding tips and tricks and it has perked my interest. Anyone have any thoughts or input? BTW I got the old Hobart CR 300 going. Thanks Cruiser.

I have bought a total of 3 thermal arc 252i's. One for myself one each for two of the dairys that i service no problems with any of the machines. One welder is almost 2 years old , one is 1 year old this month and my own welder is will be 1 year old in january.

The first time i heard of a problem with the 252i was a post on the welding web and there has been no more information about what kind of problems they had.

One 252i replaced a MM250X at one of the dairys. Two of the welders were bought with the single cylinder cart from Thermal Arc that makes a very compact and portable unit, two people can lift it into the back of a pickup or a gator.

I would not look down at the Thermal Arc welders they are a quality built unit just like a Miller.

I also own a mm211

Thanks guys for your input. My local guy gave it good grades overall so I may try it out.
    Syncrowave 350lx
    XMT 350 CC/CV
    S74DX Feeder
    30a spoolgun
    Hypertherm 1000 g3
    Harris O/A
    Cincinnati lathe

You might want to doublecheck...

but if I am not mistaken.. that machine is one of their Made in China welders...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    You might want to doublecheck...

but if I am not mistaken.. that machine is one of their Made in China welders...
    Yup just like the "assembled in USA" Millermatic 252's

Quote Originally Posted by ericher69 View Post
    Yup just like the "assembled in USA" Millermatic 252's
    NOPE...

I Meant "MADE IN CHINA"............

The MM252 is built in Appleton...
    Last edited by H80N; 11-05-2013 at 09:33 PM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

The 252I is built properly with NONE of the usual China internals. Just cause its built somewhere else to keep the costs down, it doesn't mean that its engineered wrong. Actually alot of the parts originate in Japan, and the States. I personally like the design. Internally its logical, simple to trouble shoot and repair. 4 years of un needed waranty to boot! I have customers here who love them. And customer service is only second to Miller

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    The 252I is built properly with NONE of the usual China internals. Just cause its built somewhere else to keep the costs down, it doesn't mean that its engineered wrong. Actually alot of the parts originate in Japan, and the States. I personally like the design. Internally its logical, simple to trouble shoot and repair. 4 years of un needed waranty to boot! I have customers here who love them. And customer service is only second to Miller
    That is good to know... but I think I will hang on to my MM350P...

did like their Sanrex built TIG machines though...(not as much as my Dynasties .. but they were a good machine...alas they are extinct and replaced with..... ?? ..)
    Last edited by H80N; 11-06-2013 at 06:06 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Thank you Cruiser. I know its not blue and it may look odd sitting beside the big blue synchro 350 but I do believe this will be sitting in the same hole the MM 252 was sitting. I dont use a mig enough to justify the extra coin for a 350p (although I do drool when ever I see one and that was the original plan). Just general repairs on some farm equipment and fabrication on the pulling tractors. Should be well suited for that I hope.
    Syncrowave 350lx
    XMT 350 CC/CV
    S74DX Feeder
    30a spoolgun
    Hypertherm 1000 g3
    Harris O/A
    Cincinnati lathe