Why do most think stick welding aluminum is so hard ? I did once think so until I heard you need 1/4" or thicker to be sucessful. It could save you money because you do not have to buy a mig spool gun or a ac tig machine. the trick is to have an arc force machine and instead of the recommended polarity which is electrode + , try using electrode -! It is a fast welding process when welding aluminum however, and in order to get it to tie in you need the right arc force because just cranking amperage up will not help. with the right arc force ,sanding off the oxide layer and using straight polarity and finding you're own perfect setting it is easy. I made a weld that would be perfect however it was my first succesful attempt and it did have buckshot. I wire wheeled the slag off and the end result was mig quality with a flat stack of dimes bead profile. In order to be sucessful you also need to work the stick rod forward and back! Make sure the setting is good enough to tie in when you first start. I could probably make money teaching how to stick rod aluminum. that is how hard it seems , but a little luck and i pretty much guessed the right setting for my machine. I also know how to weld 22gauge SS using a miller dynasty set at 13 amps using 035 filler mig wire ,because it melts at a lower temp than using 1/16" tig rod.