Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default trailblazer 250g no start

hello new to the site looking for some answers.. i have a trailblazer 250g that i've had for about 2 years and have had no problems till 2day.. welded for about an hour and shut it down. went to start it up again 5 min later and no start.. cranked but nuthin... waited half hour and it started and ran for 5 mins and died... waited another half hour and started for 30 seconds.. checked for spark and got nuthing... pulled the coil and can't find a reliable spec for olms on it... it doesn't have points and the coil part # is 166-0761 which they don't make anymore but the replacement is like 100 bucks, which is fine but i want to make sure thats the problem before i buy it.. i also read the the ignition module can be a problem involving age and heat soak.. which sounds like that could be the problem also.. any way to test that? any suggestions? thanks

Not saying I know the problem, but I would check the oil level. I think there's a low oil sensor. Good luck

Provide serial #. Type of engine? (Onan, etc.)

Did you check fuel also? When you pulled the plugs are they wet, smell of gas?
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

oil level is where it should be, it has gas, and spraying starting fluid has no effect, plugs are dry, slightly sooted.. appear normal as far as serial # goes, i found this one on the onon motor on a silver tag g903711949, and this one on the stamped tag on the front of the welder by the control setting panel ka859915

just to add, went out today put the coil back on and started just fine.. ran for 5 mins or so and died again, cranks just fine but no spark, and with it in the on position i have power to the positive on the coil

Just going by what you are saying I would say the coil is bad. It gets hot & shorts. A common thing to happen on this type of engine (lawn tractor, welder, etc.)

Here is what my manual states on coil testing (although it is for an older version).

1) Use a volt/ohm meter. 2) place black lead on ground (-) terminal of coil & red lead to positive (+) terminal. Primary resistance should be 3.87-4.73 ohms. 3) Change resistance settings on ohmmeter. Place ohmmeter leads inside of spark plug cable holes on coil. Secondary resistance should read 12,600-15,400.

Again my manual is for an Onan but slightly older.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

will do, will it check within spec cold and then if I run it could it then read bad? and based on the serial # above do you know what onan motor I would have? Im thinking is a P220g
    Last edited by 2000pstokeblue; 10-06-2013 at 08:40 PM.

When the engine dies pull the plug, re-attach the wire, ground it and check for spark. I have seen coils test good when cold but not when hot.

95% of the time its a corroded molex connector between the engine and front end. You may have to bypass (jumper around) the connector

molex connector? I am unfamiliar with that where is that and what does it do?