Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default angle vs square vertical strength

im building a welding table and i was gona go with 3x3 .120 square for the vertical legs. but a guy has some 3x3 .250 angle for sale for a little cheaper then what it would go for new. so im considering it for the vertical legs. the legs are gona have horizontal supports on top and down low too. what do you guys think? .120 square or .250 angle? ill only save about 20 bucks if i go angle but its heavyer.

Those are about equal in strength so you may as well go with the angle to save a little money. As another advantage for the angle is you can paint both sides so it may last longer than the tube if rust is an issue.

With the square tube you may get away without strapping the legs, depending how beefy you build it. With angle your defiantly gonna have too, just due to small surface area of welding will enable those legs to wiggle like spaghetti. Then you gotta buy material to strap em. Personally I prefer tubing over angle in a situation like this hands down. Just my opinion tho.

All mine are tubes.
    Syncrowave 250
    Millermatic 210
    dialarc 250
    spectrum 375x
    trailblazer 302
    Lincoln 135

What size is the table top? What thickness? I have a 30" x 60" x 1/2" welding table and I use 2x2x.120 square legs with some angle between the legs to stabilize. Plenty strong.

That is thick angle so it will resist twisting. Still word like to know your final plans.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Default Moment of Inertia

Quote Originally Posted by slow50 View Post
    .120 square or .250 angle? ill only save about 20 bucks if i go angle but its heavyer.
    The moment of inertia of the angle is 1.24. The moment of inertia of the square tube is 1.91. Hence, the tube is about 50% stronger in bending than the angle. The tube also has much greater torsional rigidity. My preference is the tube.

WOW, what are going to be putting on that table 18 or 20 elephants.

Unless you are going to be putting massive amounts of weight on the table, the angle will be just fine.

Do a little research and see how much weight it would take to twist or buckle 3x3x.250 angle from a vertical position
    JIM

Owner Operator of JNT Mobile Welding & Repair LLC
    Millermatic 350P Aluma Pro
    Dynasty 200DX
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Trailblazer 302
    Suitecase 12RC
    Extreme 12VS
    Extreme 8VS
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller HF251D-1
    Passport Plus
    Spoolmate 100
    Hypertherm Powermax 45 and 85
    Ingersoll Rand Engine Driven Compressor
    Dake 75 ton H-Frame Press
    JD Squared Model 32 Bender
    Miller Digital Elite

Almost any question which starts with which is stronger etc is suspect. You should see "what size air line" on garage forums. None of it makes squat and there are good benchs and poor ones made from each.

I hate the shelf low, I want it up so it stays cleaner and can sweep under it. The weld connection at the corners is basically insignificant. They usually don't need several cross braces and gussets at the corners.

Personally wouldn't use either but 2x2 tubing. Half the cost again. Even angle, with braced/shelf you would need to measure the crush in tons or 1000's vs pounds,,
    Last edited by Sberry; 10-27-2013 at 12:51 PM.

I made 100's of benches, had a modular system with jigs for the legs, way before dig cams but this is a mockup of it basically with red for a little weld. I gang cut the parts at the yard but my helper could put 3 together to finish in a morning.

The customer wanted tube, I changed the design a bit when I submitted a proto and it looked so much better than the competitor I got it even with a few $ higher price.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tube looks a bit nicer. My own are angle just scrapped together from a couple jobs, never did get around to deliberately designing a bench. I have worked where we had a plate across 2 big sawhorses, that worked really good except they set the location haphazardly left footed.

In a small garage a 30x60 is sufficient, you can reach across it and walk around is easy. Anything bigger I frame up on the floor. Also,,, no holes in top for clamps, its an idea that seems better than is except for specialized deals, these get used for all kinds of work not just welding, don't want dirt falling thru as well as tools, can wipe up a spill.

I stuck a grate and can on mine, finally built a hopper. It blew soot under the bench and I finally fixed it, now making a simple cut doesn't mean sweeping the floor. On a portable bench probably wouldn't bother with electric.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sberry; 10-27-2013 at 01:15 PM.