Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Country Metals View Post

You are probably burning up your grinders because you want to get it done now. Stainless with the chrome and nickel in it creates a heat source and hardness which makes it harder to grind down stainless.

The better the wheel you use, the longer the grinder will last.
    Your not wrong, I do want to get it done now or better still yesterday but let me clarify. Most of my grinding is in a foundry setting. I may grind 6+ hours a day on gates and risers and I hate grinding. It is noisy dirty, dirty,dangerous and I've been doing it for too long. Much of what I grind is chrome carbide iron which is very hard and work hardens as you go. Occasionally a 6" diameter riser that I first have to cut with an abrasive cut off disc(which is really hard on the grinder) and then grind down a 1/2" of riser. My collection of burnt out/destroyed grinders is from 35+ years of doing this and they don't owe me anything and yes, the right abrasive is really, really important.---Meltedmetal

Meltedmetal, If your grinding all those hours and that much metal you really need a good grinder with the least vibration possible. I would think those high end model air grinders would be the ticket for you. Oh and i sure agree with you on not liking the grinding and man if i did it as much as you i know i wouldn't like it.
    HH 210MVP
    Spoolrunner 100
    Powercraft AC buzz box
    Lotas LTP5000D plasma
    Victor Oxy/Acet
    30 ton press
    A few brand name tools
    Lots of no name tools
    A wife to worry me
    and 4 dogs to supervise me

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    Meltedmetal, If your grinding all those hours and that much metal you really need a good grinder with the least vibration possible. I would think those high end model air grinders would be the ticket for you. Oh and i sure agree with you on not liking the grinding and man if i did it as much as you i know i wouldn't like it.
    Ah, air grinders, the stuff of dreams. I expect you are right an air grinder would be good and as good as most of the high end electric grinders I've used are, I would expect air to be better. Unfortunately for me we are a very small company in two buildings separated by a public road and the main air supply is on the other side of the road from where I do the finishing. That means I would need an air compressor as well just to run the grinder. At this stage it's not likely to happen.
    I don't grind 6 hours every day but some days I do. As I've mentioned we are a very small company so I wear many hats but I think I've done my share. You know what they say "Somebody has to do it"? Around here I'm a "Somebody".Haha.---Meltedmetal

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    Your not wrong, I do want to get it done now or better still yesterday but let me clarify. Most of my grinding is in a foundry setting. I may grind 6+ hours a day on gates and risers and I hate grinding. It is noisy dirty, dirty,dangerous and I've been doing it for too long. Much of what I grind is chrome carbide iron which is very hard and work hardens as you go. Occasionally a 6" diameter riser that I first have to cut with an abrasive cut off disc(which is really hard on the grinder) and then grind down a 1/2" of riser. My collection of burnt out/destroyed grinders is from 35+ years of doing this and they don't owe me anything and yes, the right abrasive is really, really important.---Meltedmetal
    If your doing a lot of 1/2" removal on chrome carbide iron, and using a small grinder, then that is just not good common sense. Air grinders suck because they have no balls to do some real grinding, they work perfectly for finishing work though. I use them in the food industry since 90% of equipment there runs off air and is always available.

Quote Originally Posted by Country Metals View Post
    If your doing a lot of 1/2" removal on chrome carbide iron, and using a small grinder, then that is just not good common sense. Air grinders suck because they have no balls to do some real grinding, they work perfectly for finishing work though. I use them in the food industry since 90% of equipment there runs off air and is always available.
    Small is a relative term. Most of the grinding I do here is with 9 and 7 inch grinders, and 7 is mostly to use up the grinding wheels. I had a 5 hp swing grinder with 12" stones( for swing grinders that is small) but for the variety of things we do I found it impractical. As I'm sure you know both the machine and the abrasive should be matched to the job at hand. In iron I'm finishing castings from less than 1 ounce to around 350 pounds so I use a variety of grinders depending on the job at hand. I haven't used air grinders but I'm disappointed to hear that they are not very powerful. What do you have for air grinders and are they getting sufficient air supply or is that just the nature of the beast?---Meltedmetal

Thanks for the participation fellas. There's some good tips in here.
    MillerMatic 252
    Spoolmate 200
    Diversion 165
    Spectrum 625 X-Treme
    Dayton 6" Miter Band Saw
    Delta Drill Press
    Bosch 10" Table Saw
    Bosch 12" Double Bevel Miter Saw
    Jet 5 Ton Chain Hoist
    Radnor O/A

and this heavy duty table I made

Are you using a wheel especially designed for grinding stainless? I've done a lot of stainless jobs and have never burned up a grinder on one.

No, I was just using the stock Dewalt discs from Lowe's. I need some stainless specific abrasives too. Should be getting home from the rig Tuesday so I'll be back at the grind.
    MillerMatic 252
    Spoolmate 200
    Diversion 165
    Spectrum 625 X-Treme
    Dayton 6" Miter Band Saw
    Delta Drill Press
    Bosch 10" Table Saw
    Bosch 12" Double Bevel Miter Saw
    Jet 5 Ton Chain Hoist
    Radnor O/A

and this heavy duty table I made