Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

ihave 4 dewalt grinders and one that I just can't think of the name right now it's blue . but anyway I haven't bought a grinder in years due to the fact that parts are so cheap on the internet that I just rebuild them. I pickup old grinders on the jobs that the companies are throwing out because the brushed or motors bearings done went out so I take them home disassemble them and order the parts I need and fix them.i have yet to come across a grinder that's broken and would cost more to fix than repair unless the grinder was run over with a crane or truck it can be fixed the motors hardly ever go out it's mostly the brushes and bearings the motors on them are very durable and can take a beating.as for as the stainless work you could have used regular steel and buffed it down when finished then come over it with a clearcoat that would keep the polished steel look for a fraction of the price for stainless steel.

I have never ruined a B&D 7750 from Walmart, also can be had at Menards on sale for 20$. They are way better than the HF and outlasted several yellow ones and the only time I pick up something else is a Milwaukee that has a rotating guard. We have tested these extensively, feel how heavy one is sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by ericher69 View Post
    I'm not a pro but have used many angle grinders daily over the years with varying success depending on price point.

You may want to look at

https://www.ridgid.com/ca/en/twist-h...-angle-grinder

Bought this tool a year ago and couldn't be more pleased.

They also make a 4.5" model

No affiliation or interests in this brand only like their Lifetime Warranty (as long as you register as per instructions)

Ps. I burned up a $24 4.5" angle grinder last week working on aluminum. Noticed a few chunks flying out of the fan housing, started to smoke so I put it down still running and watched it auto destruct!
    I could not agree more!!!! How can you argue with a lifetime warranty? ....and yes I have two 4.5" Ridgid grinders and like them.
    Nick

I have two DeWalt 4 1/2" and a DeWalt 5". My 7" is a 1978 vintage Milwaukee. I used to sell tools, and I sold a few Makita 7". They were impressive tools.

Default Best grinders for stainless

I teach welding so u can imagine what kids do to grinders. Have not had a metabo burn up in 3 years knock in wood. Expensive but u get what u pay for. Just my 2 cents

Expensive but u get what u pay for.
    Maybe but we havnt burned up the orange one in 3 either.

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Maybe but we havnt burned up the orange one in 3 either.
    You are so right!!!! I use my Ridgid grinders and at times beat the hel| out of them and they are going strong. I feed them a steady diet of steel, concrete, granite and tile with no ill effects. So it's been close to five years and we have not burned up the orange. You do get what you pay for, but I like to pay as little as possible for what I get.

Nick

My Boschs have been going strong for over four years. Got them in a buy one get one free deal for $80. I will never throw money away on something like a metabo, I just can't justify paying so much more for something that works marginally better at best.

If you have serious grinding to do buy a serious grinder. I grind a lot mostly with 9" and 7" grinders. I haven't bought anything but 9" grinding wheels in years. When they wear an inch off the radius I knock them down to the next size machine. I used a lot of walter/metabo and I am now using Hitachi as they are a little cheaper. I have burnt/ wore out a number of them brushes,bearings,armatures,coils and gears. Sometimes I fix them and sometimes I find there is too much gone to bother. I don't bother with some of the smaller machines(5" is as small as I go) as they use a smaller diameter hole in the stones and I would need an adapter to mount my leftover wheels and I find 5" grinders take too long to get the job done. For me the most important issue is to use the proper abrasive for the job at hand. Most anything will turn a grind stone but if your using the wrong abrasive you end up either chewing up wheels for nothing or spending way too much time for nothing. My $.02. I work cheaper than some of these $.2 (twenty cent) guys. Haha.---Meltedmetal

I work with stainless steel on a daily basis in the food industry. I have a shop and portable business. I currently have 9 w-7/w-8 Metabo grinders along with a dewalt 7". I Keep 5 at shop and 4 on truck. Last year I just totally burnt up my first grinder from a job I use to work at 13 years ago. All I do is take them apart every few months and blow out the brushes and if needed replace them.

You are probably burning up your grinders because you want to get it done now. Stainless with the chrom and nickel in it creates a heat source and hardness which makes it harder to grind down stainless. I only use flap wheels for stainless for better cooling action and smoother finish. To sand the inside joints, you probably want a dynafile or imitation. The belts get expensive but it works like a charm.

The better the wheel you use, the longer the grinder will last.