Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Best grinders for stainless

It's been quite a while since I had a project worth posting on here. This is my first stainless steel project. I'm building a couple of 1/4" 304 stainless steel craftsman style columns with built-in lighting for my new entryway on my house. The project is coming along, but as you may guess, it has begun to eat my lunch.

First, just the 25 lb spool of 308 wire was $250. That was a kick in the pants. Then, there was a lot, lot, lot of welding. I should've gotten my parts cut slightly differently so I wouldn't have had to build so much weld up to be able to sharp angle. Lesson learned. It's looking good now. IMG_0249.jpgIMG_0248.jpgIMG_0250.jpgIMG_0252.jpg

This is the main problem I have now. IMG_0266.jpg My grinders are trashed. I had two 4 year old Dewalt D28110 4-1/2" grinders that burned up. The cost to fix them makes it necessary to just get new ones. I also had a 2 year old Dewalt D28402 4-1/2" grinder that stripped out it's gears and brushes. That one is salvageable with a gear from the burned up one and new brushes.

I know I need a 7" grinder and new 4-1/2" grinders. What do you pros recommend for the extra stress required for stainless? Have you noticed better quality from Dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee, Hilti, etc? Better handling/life expectancy from a higher amperage/lower amperage? I'm not too concerned about the cost as I expect to spend $130-250/grinder because I'm not buying HF garbage.

Another question: I have some interior fillet welds to smooth out. A couple of grinding stones used with my die grinder have just come apart on this stainless. Do burs hold up well on stainless or do I just need to plan on buying a ton of stones? (I realize I could just become a better welder, but that may not happen.)
    MillerMatic 252
    Spoolmate 200
    Diversion 165
    Spectrum 625 X-Treme
    Dayton 6" Miter Band Saw
    Delta Drill Press
    Bosch 10" Table Saw
    Bosch 12" Double Bevel Miter Saw
    Jet 5 Ton Chain Hoist
    Radnor O/A

and this heavy duty table I made

I have two 4.5" milwaukee grinders that i use and havne't had any issues with them. They have been used mostly on steel but have also done a lot of work on concrete and tile.

But i think most of the grinders you get from dewalt, milwaukee, makita, bosch will be just fine. Just try to get the higher amp models. Stay away from the 6 amp models.

The two that burned up were 6 or 7 amp models. The one with the torn up gear was a 10 or 11 amp. They've gotten a lot of use, and it's not like they tore up right out of the box. I've been fairly pleased with Dewalt products so far. I'm leaning towards trying out Makita though.

I'm just curious what people use that need everyday service instead of every month service from their grinders.
    MillerMatic 252
    Spoolmate 200
    Diversion 165
    Spectrum 625 X-Treme
    Dayton 6" Miter Band Saw
    Delta Drill Press
    Bosch 10" Table Saw
    Jet 5 Ton Chain Hoist
    Radnor O/A

I'm not a pro but have used many angle grinders daily over the years with varying success depending on price point.

You may want to look at

https://www.ridgid.com/ca/en/twist-handle-seven-inch-angle-grinder

Bought this tool a year ago and couldn't be more pleased.

They also make a 4.5" model

No affiliation or interests in this brand only like their Lifetime Warranty (as long as you register as per instructions)

Ps. I burned up a $24 4.5" angle grinder last week working on aluminum. Noticed a few chunks flying out of the fan housing, started to smoke so I put it down still running and watched it auto destruct!

Quote Originally Posted by ericher69 View Post
    I'm not a pro but have used many angle grinders daily over the years with varying success depending on price point.

You may want to look at

https://www.ridgid.com/ca/en/twist-h...-angle-grinder

Bought this tool a year ago and couldn't be more pleased.

They also make a 4.5" model

No affiliation or interests in this brand only like their Lifetime Warranty (as long as you register as per instructions)

Ps. I burned up a $24 4.5" angle grinder last week working on aluminum. Noticed a few chunks flying out of the fan housing, started to smoke so I put it down still running and watched it auto destruct!
    I could not agree more!!!! How can you argue with a lifetime warranty? ....and yes I have two 4.5" Ridgid grinders and like them.
    Nick

I have two DeWalt 4 1/2" and a DeWalt 5". My 7" is a 1978 vintage Milwaukee. I used to sell tools, and I sold a few Makita 7". They were impressive tools.

Metabo hands down best grinders I have ever used.

Yeah Metabo is the bomb but that's what's gonna hit your wallet too.lol. Milwaukee,Bosch and Ridgid are your best bang for your buck but if you want top shelf go with Meta. I have a Milwaukee and I use it everyday for something. Never a problem on the 4" or 7". Just my $.2!
    On the contrary my buddy has the Harbor Freight(drill master I think) and it had been a trooper for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Precision View Post
    Yeah Metabo is the bomb but that's what's gonna hit your wallet too.lol. Milwaukee,Bosch and Ridgid are your best bang for your buck but if you want top shelf go with Meta. I have a Milwaukee and I use it everyday for something. Never a problem on the 4" or 7". Just my $.2!
    On the contrary my buddy has the Harbor Freight(drill master I think) and it had been a trooper for him.
    I also have no problem with Harbor Freight grinders. NoogaD mentioned spending over a $100. for a grinder. I catch them on sale at Harbor Freight and buy three or four for less than that. I don't like taking the time to change the different wheels every time I change what I am doing. So I keep an assortment of them hanging off the end of my bench with different wheels, (grinding, flap, wire brush, cutting wheel), then just grab what I need at the time.

If one of them dies on me, then I haven't lost enough money to worry about.

My problem isn't exactly the money. I mean I don't WANT to spend the money to replace two grinders and fix a third. But I work away from home, so when I'm home I get in the garage. My days off vary between a day or two or a week. What happens is that stuff like this happens and really kills my time.

I was starting this project, and my argon tank was getting low. I tried to finish out the tank, but I knew I was risking getting the empty to the LWS at closing time on a Friday. Sure enough, I got there five minutes after they closed and couldn't find anyone open on Saturday that had any in stock. That Sunday, I had to go back out of town.

The grinders quit right around the time Lowe's closes, and then I had to go to work the next day. Each time it's been about two weeks before I get back home to work on my personal projects.

I've got plenty of stuff from HF (of varying quality) so I'm not knocking it. I just don't trust that something like a grinder is going to hold up on stainless projects. That stuff is tough, and I don't want to keep a stable of cheap grinders on the shelves. My Dewalts worked flawlessly until this project, but they burned up fairly quickly once I got started fairly well.

The Metabos look pretty darn tempting, and the price isn't terrible. And from another post, I think I'm going to contact the local Flexovit rep to get some better abrasives.
    MillerMatic 252
    Spoolmate 200
    Diversion 165
    Spectrum 625 X-Treme
    Dayton 6" Miter Band Saw
    Delta Drill Press
    Bosch 10" Table Saw
    Jet 5 Ton Chain Hoist
    Radnor O/A