Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Aluminum mig help needed!

Hi guys, trying to learn to weld some aluminum, have a millermatic 251 with 30a spool gun. Have watched a bunch of videos on this and am confused?
    i see most telling me to use spray transfer and have a hiss sound instead of crackle sound. I can get that sound but it seams real hard not to burn back tips?
    i seem to get a better weld with the other setting but got splatter. I'm not a welder so it is Greek to me. Is it just that I need more practice with it? A guy I know came by and herd the hiss and told me I don't want that. He is a certified welder
    if so why do the videos say it??
    thanks

Welding by the sound is a rather subjective measure, but once you get a machine dialed in for a good weld on aluminum, the sound is a good indicator to let you know how the weld is doing. In other words, get a good, clean weld with good penetration and get used to the sound that is produced, then the sound will help guide you in changing settings for different material thickness, etc. Having said that, I get more of a crackle than a hiss when I weld aluminum, but the crackle is a very even crackle. If the crackle is intermittent or has a lot of "pops" then I'm usually seeing more spatter. I do know people who weld aluminum with a standard mig process that get more of a hiss, but they have their voltage and wire feed turned up real high and their resulting travel speed is crazy fast.

Focus first on surface prep. Aluminum needs to be clean and free of oxidation before you weld. Also make sure you have good gas flow at the nozzle and you are set for about 30 cfm (assuming you aren't using flux-core). If you are burning tips, decrease your voltage a little or increase your distance between the tip and the work a little. For aluminum, you want to push, not drag the weld, i.e., the tip is angled so it points slightly in the direction of travel.

When I was first learning to weld aluminum, I would keep notes listing material thickness, joint type, welding position, wire size, voltage, feed rate, work angle, travel angle, travel speed, stick-out, etc., and descriptions of how the weld looked. I would try to change only one thing at a time so that I cold see the effect of each variable. I went through a lot of scrap pieces learning, but now I can usually set up a new or unfamiliar machine pretty fast, or determine the problem when something goes wrong.

Have you ever made bacon? Heard that mmmmmm sizzling sound. Same as the sound you'll hear welding AL.

What wire do you have?, and I'd assume that your using straight Argon.

when I want to lay down a flat weld with a nice look to it I will set the machine a bit hotter and have the hiss sound but for just plain old welding I normally have the crackling sound sort of like the bacon frying sound like cruiser mentioned.

It is a different sound than short circuit mig, a lot smoother. Lots of certified welders have never laid eyes on a spoolgun. Once you have it set up right you pull the trigger and haul ass! It goes a lot faster than sc on steel as well, and if you pause, or go too slow them you burn through.

Default Aluminum mig help needed!

I haven't welded aluminum mig for that long (we do pulse at work) but when I do weld it I like to have just a little more crackle then a hiss. Like others have mentioned you can get the crackle by turning up wire speed. I would guess that you're burning tips because you're wire speed is a good bit too low. And remember aluminum has a lot smaller range of operation to get a good weld than steel does. But hang in there and listen to all these other guys and you'll get it in no time!

Thumbs up

Here is a pretty good video on the subject...

think this may illustrate better than words...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AT4cEHtMn8

Sights & Sounds...Courtesy of Jody... weldingtipsandtricks
    Last edited by H80N; 10-01-2013 at 06:23 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Also, you need to be pushing the gun, not pulling.

Default Aluminum

Thanks guys, been trying a bunch more scraps, getting better. I had looked at that video before and the spray sound he was after is what I have so much trouble with. I can get that sound but burn tips like crazy
    mostly on start up, can't quite get the relationship between wire feed and volts
    If you leave the volts alone but change wire speed it does seem to change the way it acts? Would be nice to have a video showing the why and how of the process

spray arc does not happen unless the shielding gas has oxygen in it and you can't use a shielding gas with oxygen in it when welding aluminun