Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Why is this such a big deal? The wire is still 2 conductor with one ground, so it should be real easy to fab up our own adapters. These are all "standard plugs" readily available at home depot or electric supply houses. It's like the miller MVP adapters. Most guys including myself wired up our own 110v and 220v adapters.

The synthetic AC power is designed to be sufficient for running a Coolmate unit. Per the request of many industrial customers, we used another fairly common receptacle instead of a standard duplex receptacle (often referred to as a wall outlet). Doing so will help eliminate misuse of the power provided out of the machine. Miller does not recommend end customers opening the machine and any modifications would certainly void the warranty we provide.

The coolant will not be routed through the machine; rather, Miller has utilized a wind-tunnel design to efficiently cool key components. The machines intended for air cooled use can certainly be paired with a water cooler but do not feature the dedicated use receptacle. A water cooler could be used but will not be capable of being controlled or powered by a receptacle in the power-source and will have to be plugged into a facility 115V outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller Welders View Post
    The synthetic AC power is designed to be sufficient for running a Coolmate unit. Per the request of many industrial customers, we used another fairly common receptacle instead of a standard duplex receptacle (often referred to as a wall outlet). Doing so will help eliminate misuse of the power provided out of the machine. Miller does not recommend end customers opening the machine and any modifications would certainly void the warranty we provide.

The coolant will not be routed through the machine; rather, Miller has utilized a wind-tunnel design to efficiently cool key components. The machines intended for air cooled use can certainly be paired with a water cooler but do not feature the dedicated use receptacle. A water cooler could be used but will not be capable of being controlled or powered by a receptacle in the power-source and will have to be plugged into a facility 115V outlet.
    SYNTHETIC AC??

is this power available internally in both aircooled and watercooled versions??

Would the only diference be the addition of the pigtail and connector??

or is there an inverter board specific to the watercooled version that generates this power??

how much current is available to power a water cooler should the user desire to add one at a later date??...

is the aircooled power supply field upgradable to watercooled ready status..??.

given of course being done by factory authorized techs...??

or is there some major difference between the units??

This begs the question... why not just install that $2 connector on all Dynasty/Maxstar 280 power supplies? rather than having two discrete versions??
    Last edited by H80N; 10-31-2013 at 12:16 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

water cooled machine.... AWESOME!
    100% duty cycle at 200 amps..... AWESOME!
    3 phase... AWESOME!
    52 lbs.... AWESOME!
    Well done Miller!

Quote Originally Posted by travisc454 View Post
    water cooled machine.... AWESOME!
    100% duty cycle at 200 amps..... AWESOME!
    3 phase... AWESOME!
    52 lbs.... AWESOME!
    Well done Miller!
    Whacko cooler plug.....PRICELESS!
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Quote Originally Posted by Miller Welders View Post

So it shows in the Dynasty280 owners manual that the coolmate 1.3 plugs into a standard household 115volt wall socket. Will it need an adapter to plug into the back of the 280?

Can I use said adapter to plug my Bernard cooler into the Dynasty280?

Miller Dynasty700DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw

Question

What we could really use now is to have someone from the Dynasty 280 technical team to clear up these questions... should not be such a big deal if we get someone with intimate knowledge of the machine.....
    Last edited by H80N; 10-31-2013 at 08:42 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Default Is the Miller Dynasty 280 DX Available Now?

Does Nancy Palosi work for Miller now? "First you have to purchase the machine to see what's in it"....

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    What we could really use now is to have someone from the Dynasty 280 technical team to clear up these questions... should not be such a big deal if we get someone with intimate knowledge of the machine.....
    I have my west coast techies working on answers as well. They are pretty savvy.

Miller Dynasty700DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    I have my west coast techies working on answers as well. They are pretty savvy.
    I bought and have a 280dx and the 1.3 coolmate. The coolmate has a standard wall plug on the cord. The cord itself looks to be the same as a computer uses that has the 3 prong end that plugs in the power supply and standard 115volt wall plug on the other end. So instead of a special adapter they could just supply a new cord with the correct end as the cord is removable.

I called Miller several times and was told the issue with the coolmate version was getting it to transform any of the various voltages as well as 1 or 3 phase power and make it small enough to fit into the 280 case without blocking all the air flow. I decided I wouldn't wait for the coolmate version as I felt that non coolmate version would have better airflow regardless and its not that big of a deal for me to plug it into the wall.
    Last edited by ssmoore; 11-01-2013 at 02:46 PM.