Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Dirt Bike Rim Repair

I had a rim dropped off with a buckle and a crack on the welded seem.
    These should not be attempted and I do not recommend anyone try this kind of repair.
    Cleaned up the area and veed out the crack.
    Placed the rim in a press and removed the buckle.

JI
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grip it and Rip it

Not to bad looking.
    Much stronger now.
    Reinforced on the tyre side.

Ji
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grip it and Rip it

Still looks wavy and off to me.

Yep its not perfect but its good enough for $50
    It takes longer to sand it smooth than anything else.
    When you think about it a new rim cost $200 and to have some one lace new spokes cost $100 and new spokes cost $200 its not bad bang for your buck

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jigantor View Post
    Yep its not perfect but its good enough for $50
    It takes longer to sand it smooth than anything else.
    When you think about it a new rim cost $200 and to have some one lace new spokes cost $100 and new spokes cost $200 its not bad bang for your buck

Ji
    Nice Work..!!

Still very curious as to the brand and model TIG machine that you are using...

know that choices and machine availability is different down there.. Pics??

Thanks..

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Quote Originally Posted by Jigantor View Post

These should not be attempted and I do not recommend anyone try this kind of repair.
    JI
    If it should not be attempted and you do not recommend anyone try this. Then How Come YOU Did It?

It is a risky repair for both the welder and the rider.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    If it should not be attempted and you do not recommend anyone try this. Then How Come YOU Did It?
    For the challenge and 50 bucks I expect, but the liability lives on. Lawyers are making us afraid to work, but I won't go any further there or it will turn into a long post. Nice looking work there. Did the damage occur right at the original seam in the rim? Or is that line across the rim part of the repair?---Meltedmetal

Yes I started 4 years ago testing on rims.
    They were rims I owned and used.
    After some testing I am happy to repair certain rims.
    There is a lot more to the repair than just welding.
    There is only one bike guy here doing it on all that come through the door and he charges $200. This is still cheap because with a new rim there is still the spokes and lacing to pay for.

Yes right on the original welded seam.
    There is a video that shows them being rolled to a circle and then clamped and welded all in one go. Pretty cool to watch.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

I used to do a bit of off road biking but that was a long time ago and I was very tame compared to what I see people doing today. I preferred off road to on road though.
    I also watch some of the "how it's made" videos from time to time. What always amazes me is how cheap some stuff is when you consider the huge capital investment required to make something as simple as say bolts.
    Anyway you do nice work there. You obviously enjoy that as well.---Meltedmetal