Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Electrolytic De-rusting

Has anyone here tried electrolytic de-rusting? I stumbled across this on Welding Web a few months ago and gave it a shot. Here's a link to the same video I saw on WW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4yYF8gSHdA

Works pretty good. Using a hi-pressure washer on the parts after derusting does a nice job. I picked up a wheel from a friends scrap pile. I removed the axle, cotter pin and one of the keeper castings and derusted in a 5 gallon bucket, then hit with the hi-pressure washer. These were in the same condition as the wheel before. I just got a big enough container for the wheel and it is 'cooking' now. Here are a couple of photos.

wheel.jpg Axle.jpg
    Tim

Many cordless tools...........
    2 cordless hammers
    2 cordless punches
    1 cordless chisel
    2 cordless screwdrivers, 1 + and 1 -
    and a cordless adjustable wrench that also doubles as a hammer.....

Cool

I use Muratic Acid. % gal bucket and a couple cups of acid dumped into the water and it starts bubbling. When done a quick rinse in baking soda water, dry off and oil or paint. I use a 2" pcv tube with a cap on the bottom for long parts and old gun barrels. Removes the old bluing and the rust. Just my thoughts...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    I use Muratic Acid....
    Bob, Thanks. I have used Muratic acid a couple of time to remove some galvanizing. I'll give it a shot on rusted stuff. Thanks for pointing out the neutralizing step. I've just hosed it off good the couple of times I've used it.

And the electrolysis method really slows down with the temperature. I do it outside. When I started the wheel, the water was probably in the mid to upper 50s. The battery charger was putting out about 3 amps. As the water dropped to ambient, mid 30s, the amps dropped to 1. Before, with the temps in 60s and 70s, it usually ran about 4 amps. Guess it's a summer project.
    Tim

Many cordless tools...........
    2 cordless hammers
    2 cordless punches
    1 cordless chisel
    2 cordless screwdrivers, 1 + and 1 -
    and a cordless adjustable wrench that also doubles as a hammer.....