Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Shop Pictures/Layout

I'm moving into a 30x40 shop. I need some ideas on how to lay it out. I have a bandsaw, 4x8 cnc plasma, 4x8 bench, and want to store my 20' pieces of steel inside as well. So I'll need to be creative. Pictures and ideas are welcome.

Will this be a dedicated welding shop? Location of doors will have something to do with layout, also the type of work you do. Do you need to get large items moved around by forklift, maybe able to get large vehicles in?

For little used equipment it is nice to have it on wheels to move out of the way. Obviously the plasma will take up a lot of room as you also need room to load & unload it.

My building is 30x40 with two bay doors & one man door, all on the 40' wall. Each bay is approx. 13' x 30'. I keep my center bay open for large items & that is where my gantry crane is. Work table is in the man door bay shared with "toolroom" & some equipment. The third bay is mainly storage/junk. Since my shop is on the same property as my house the third bay gets some of each.
    Last edited by MMW; 10-19-2013 at 01:04 PM.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Standard lengths for square and rectangular tubing here is 24'. We had someone forget this and drove the forklift up to the end of the rack looking at the 20' pieces in the bottom of the rack and drove a 24' 4" x 4" right though the wall on the top rack. I think it really depends on the type of work you're doing and plan to do. However you lay it out be prepared to change it.---Meltedmetal

Default Shop Pictures/Layout

Can never have too much shelving in a garage/shop. I'm constantly building shelves or wishing I had.

My friend Gary has a small shop with 40' of roller across the back wall to the saw.
    His steel rack is on the 30' wall at a 90* angle to the roller. That way he just sets the iron on the roller and rolls it to the saw.
    There a bench on the front wall piled high and deep.
    3' from the bench is a 4'x8'x1'' welding table.
    The last wall has the press, phone desk, and beer reefer.
    The main bay is only about 16'x30'.
    He does more work in one year in that shop than I will do in my life time in a 6000 sq.ft. shop.
    Good Luck,
    Bob
    Millermatic 252 w/30A
    Big Blue Air Pak
    Ellis 3000 Band Saw
    Trailblazer 302 Air Pak w/ Wireless Remote
    8-RC
    Dynasty 200 DX
    XMT 350 MPa w/S-74 MPa Plus
    Millermatic 211
    Passport Plus
    Spectrum 625 X-TREME
    Lincoln SA-200 Blue Tint Red Face '63
    2-Lincoln SA-200 Red Face '68
    SA-200 Black Face '59
    SA-200 Green Lite '84
    SA-200 Green Lite '80
    SA-200 Red Face '69
    SA-200 Red Face '66
    SA-200 Green Lite '81
    '70 Black Face Round Barrel

it doesn't really matter how you lay it out. after a while you have to much stuff. mines 32x 42 with 12 foot ceilings. bursting at the seams with equipment