Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Do not cut the tank with a torch or plasma cutter without purging with inert gas or filling with water. The heat will vaporize remaining liquid and create an explosive atmosphere inside the tank. Only use a sawzall if you can have someone keep soapy water on the blade the whole time you are cutting and a slower speed with good blades. This way no heat to vaporize the fuel. Oh a co2 extinguisher can be used as a purge gas if one is laying around plus nitrogen or argon will work also. Good luck..................
    HH 210MVP
    Spoolrunner 100
    Powercraft AC buzz box
    Lotas LTP5000D plasma
    Victor Oxy/Acet
    30 ton press
    A few brand name tools
    Lots of no name tools
    A wife to worry me
    and 4 dogs to supervise me

Default cutting heating oil tank

It was a 500 gal oil tank. It had been sitting for a couple years and in case you didn't know oil burns not explodes. Ya the oil burned inside it but no explosions.

It's an oil tank. Oil burns not explodes.

Dump a pound or two of dry ice in or dump a c02 extinguisher in before you do either....
    Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    Why? To ensure you allowed enough air into the tank to get that perfect oxy-to-fuel explosive ratio?

Why? To ensure you allowed enough air into the tank to get that perfect oxy-to-fuel explosive ratio? [/QUOTE] thats funny
    Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
    Millermatic 211
    Spoolmate 100
    (Retapped to fit regular mig tips)
    Work better & less parts to stock.
    Miller 130xp
    T/A Dragster 85 (portability 11 pounds)
    Oxygen/Acetylene torch set 50'
    2. 4-1/2" grinders
    1. 9" grinder
    14" Makita chop saw
    1/2" Aircat impact gun 900#

Sawzaa is ok. Anything flame related is NO GO.

Do as Jersey welder says. Anything you use that causes sparks is taking a chance unless you do the correct things first. Fuel oil may only be a combustible with a flash point above 100deg F. but if a blade gets hot enough to burn your finger how hot is that. Certainly it's well above the 100 deg F.. If the blade gets hot enough to vaporize residual fuel then there is a great chance of an ignition and explosion. I would also be spraying my blade with soapy water while i was cutting just for added safety. Just saying............
    HH 210MVP
    Spoolrunner 100
    Powercraft AC buzz box
    Lotas LTP5000D plasma
    Victor Oxy/Acet
    30 ton press
    A few brand name tools
    Lots of no name tools
    A wife to worry me

Do as Jersey Welder says........
    HH 210MVP
    Spoolrunner 100
    Powercraft AC buzz box
    Lotas LTP5000D plasma
    Victor Oxy/Acet
    30 ton press
    A few brand name tools
    Lots of no name tools
    A wife to worry me

Default depends on which way you want to cut it

I have had good luck filling stuff with water till it overflows, then if you have to drain some out to below your cut line. you must be sure that the tank has been completely drained of any liquid fuel before hand and then cleaned out good. pressure washer with detergent works nice. The water totally displaces any of the residual vapours. I even held a bbq lighter over the filler opening and the flame never even flickered. ( and for those guys that think i did this with the empty tank and it was Full right up to the filler spout. No flames, no explosion. Of course you have to ensure any oils or fuel are disposed of to ensure environmental regulations are met. Have done this to several fuel heating oil tanks and even propane bbq tanks with the valves removed. Hit it with the plasma cutter and no issues. Im sure the old oxy-acetylene would work equally well.
    I have a welding addiction

...the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask

I'll just throw my 2 cents in if the original poster is still alive. My old boss filled a diesel truck gas tank with water to weld a small repair on it, after a couple seconds of welding the tank suddenly ballooned and push him back. The residual diesel on the inside of the tank turned to vapor with the welding heat then ignited despite being filled with water. He was lucky and didn't get hurt, but honestly the only way to safely weld/cut a fuel tank is to use a degreasing cleaner first then purge the tank with a non reactive gas. If I can't do that then I don't work on it.
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter