Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default cutting heating oil tank

Sure its been asked is sazall ok for cutting open a 275 gallon oil tank? My fire pit is done time for a new one.

I've cut the 500 gal ones with a torch/plasma cutter. Just leave it vented. Oil doesn't explode just burns really. But it's your call if you feel comfortable.

Red face

I have done it several times in building pig cookers..

but prepped them first by steaming them out with a steam jenny to get the crud loose...

I like the round oil tanks best for that purpose...

run the sawzall slowly with a coarse metal blade and have somebody give it a squirt of WD40 from time to time to cool the blade.. (white smoke is good)

also I usually tack weld a length of angle iron to the tank to be a saw guide...

Word of caution... do not run the blade fast... you will knock off the teeth in nothing flat...

post pics...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

I turned the tank on it side and used my plasma and a come alongs snug cable to set the torch on and ride around the tank. Only had to move the come a long one tine brcause of the cranking mechinsm. Measured up from the concrete floor to get the cable level. My tank sprung when it was cut free, if I was to do it again I would run a 1/4" rod through the sides of the tank I was using and weld both sides to prevent the tank from springing open.

wear ear protection, a jig saw with the right blade might be easier to control.

Quote Originally Posted by makowicki View Post
    Sure its been asked is sazall ok for cutting open a 275 gallon oil tank? My fire pit is done time for a new one.
    I don't see a problem with it.

I would think using a good jigsaw with the right blade would be more accurate and easier to work with.

I should have run a couple rods through mine and welded them in-place, when the halves separated the ends sprang open.

I used my come alongs' snugged cable for a straight edge. I turned the tank on it's side an measured up from the shop floor to get a level cut and straight cut.

I've used a torch/plasma on the 500 gal ones before. Just opened all the threaded holes

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan128 View Post
    . Just opened all the threaded holes
    Not nearly safe enough for me.---Meltedmetal

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan128 View Post
    Just opened all the threaded holes
    Why? To ensure you allowed enough air into the tank to get that perfect oxy-to-fuel explosive ratio?

fill with water and use air tool grinder or sawzall.