Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question about some rectangle steel

I just recently had a chance at some free 2 x 8 x 3/16 rectangle. I've got 4@13' and 5@8'. I've always wanted to build a heavy duty dump trailer one day. Would this material be adequate for say a 12,000 lb trailer frame at 10' long?

I plan on buying plans online and having a real welder friend come over and weld it for me once I have most of the material together. Any help would or opinions would be appreciated.

This is is my first post although I've been lurking for a year or so.

Cool

I could make that work for what you want...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    I could make that work for what you want...Bob

Well that is good news then. It means that it's actually possible to make a proper dump trailer from the material I have. I'm asking because I located tandem 6000lb axles with rims, leafs, equalizers, rims, tires, brakes for $400 and I'm picking them Thursday. Long way to go still but will take the deals while I can get em and store it. thanks for any help. I enjoy reading here and learning whatever I can. I will try to post a pic of the add for the axles.
    Red mig 180 w gas

Here is link to some formulas.

I'm sure the answer to your question is somewhere in here,
    but it seemed like rocket science to me and I had to re-boot my brain after looking.

http://www.engineersedge.com/beam_calc_menu.shtml
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Quote Originally Posted by Leaguedude View Post
    I just recently had a chance at some free 2 x 8 x 3/16 rectangle. I've got 4@13' and 5@8'. I've always wanted to build a heavy duty dump trailer one day. Would this material be adequate for say a 12,000 lb trailer frame at 10' long?

I plan on buying plans online and having a real welder friend come over and weld it for me once I have most of the material together. Any help would or opinions would be appreciated.

This is is my first post although I've been lurking for a year or so.
    This was fun... I am a mechanical engineer (1982 U of Texas Longhorn ). Here is what I assumed:

12000 lb load uniformly distributed over Two (2) Rect Tube rails (on 2" edge) - one on each side of trailer frame.

Worst case 60" of Rect Tube cantilevered 60" off axle (i.e. single axle in middle of trailer)

Max stress is only 28.4k PSI right above single axle in this worst case imaginary model.

Deflection at end of rail would be 0.21 inches

Low carbon steel yields (i.e. bends irrecoverably) at 53.7k psi and breaks at 63.8k psi - you have a safety factor of at least 2X.

Since you are using two axles, no way you can exceed these numbers. Sounds like it will be a fine trailer.

Just for grins, I ran numbers with 2 X 6 rect tubing and the max stress shoots over 60k psi giving it almost zero safety factor. Beam Depth (i.e. going from 6 to 8 inch) matters.

Have fun and post pictures!
    Last edited by rickwjenn; 11-05-2013 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Fixed typos

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt hands View Post
    Here is link to some formulas.

I'm sure the answer to your question is somewhere in here,
    but it seemed like rocket science to me and I had to re-boot my brain after looking.

http://www.engineersedge.com/beam_calc_menu.shtml
    Thanks for the link. Very helpful, not sure if I'm going to be able to figure it out on this one! Should come in handy later, maybe something simple. Lol
    Red mig 180 w gas

Quote Originally Posted by rickwjenn View Post
    This was fun... I am a mechanical engineer (1982 U of Texas Longhorn ). Here is what I assumed:

12000 lb load uniformly distributed over Two (2) Rect Tube rails (on 2" edge) - one on each side of trailer frame.

Worst case 60" of Rect Tube cantilevered 60" off axle (i.e. single axle in middle of trailer)

Max stress is only 28.4k PSI right above single axle in this worst case imaginary model.

Deflection at end of rail would be 0.21 inches

Low carbon steel yields (i.e. bends irrecoverably) at 53.7k psi and breaks at 63.8k psi - you have a safety factor of at least 2X.

Since you are using two axles, no way you can exceed these numbers. Sounds like it will be a fine trailer.

Just for grins, I ran numbers with 2 X 6 rect tubing and the max stress shoots over 60k psi giving it almost zero safety factor. Beam Depth (i.e. going from 6 to 8 inch) matters.

Have fun and post pictures!
    Thanks Rick for the educated response to my question and in taking the time to explain your calculations. 1982 U of T? I was 11 in 82, seems like a long time ago.lol

I will get some pics up soon. I'll probably have a ton of questions but I'll try to take some good pics. Next is deciding what plans to buy and if my 180 mig will do the job. I am able to borrow a stick welder if needed. This is going to be a slow winter project so bear with me.

Any help or or advice is welcomed. Great forum!
    Last edited by Leaguedude; 11-17-2013 at 07:24 PM.
    Red mig 180 w gas

Quote Originally Posted by Leaguedude View Post
    Thanks Rick for the educated response to my question and in taking the time to explain your calculations. 1982 U of T? I was 11 in 82, seems like a long time ago.lol

I will get some pics up soon. I'll probably have a ton of questions but I'll try to take some good pics. Next is deciding what plans to buy and if my 180 mig will do the job. I am able to borrow a stick welder if needed. This is going to be a slow winter project so bear with me.

Any help or or advice is welcomed. Great forum!
    You are welcome. Yes - I got my Mech Engr degree in 1982 - was 21 then. Been a good ride.

I think your Miller 180 will work just fine. Have fun!

Well I've been super busy with life and work so I haven't had time for much but I wanted to keep this alive because it's high on my priority list. Here are some photos of the axles and steel I have so far. Hopefully more to come soon....

IMG_0467.jpgIMG_0468.jpgIMG_0469.jpgIMG_0470.jpg
    Red mig 180 w gas

Sorry about the sideways pic's. I hope these are better....

IMG_0467.jpgIMG_0468.jpgIMG_0469.jpgIMG_0470.jpg
    Red mig 180 w gas