Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Why would anyone bother trying to figure this out?

I mean, it makes about as much sense as trying to figure out what percentage of the price of a cup of coffee accounts for the sugar ... when you only use "Sweet 'n' Low."

Beyond concluding, "Gee, the figure is probably negligible," who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Synchroman View Post
    Right now, I'm developing a love affair with my new MM252. You should see what it does to 1/2" plate at 29.5 Volts and 515 IPS!
    Your machine spits out 42 feet of wire per second? Almost half a mile per minute? The recoil alone sounds dangerous!

Guess I've offended the internet gods. I posted about this in the morning but even though my computer indicates that I posted(little green check mark) my post never showed up. Anyway there is a chart in the owners manual that says the idle draw is .3 kw and the welding draw varies from 4.3 to 6 kw at 150 amps out depending on the volts out. If you still want to run the numbers extrapolate from there.----Meltedmetal

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    Why would anyone bother trying to figure this out?

I mean, it makes about as much sense as trying to figure out what percentage of the price of a cup of coffee accounts for the sugar ... when you only use "Sweet 'n' Low."

Beyond concluding, "Gee, the figure is probably negligible," who cares?

Your machine spits out 42 feet of wire per second? Almost half a mile per minute? The recoil alone sounds dangerous!
    I agree, calculating the electricity would be a waste of time.

Yes, I almost fell over when I saw that the MM252 can put out up to 700 inches per minute. I also make mistakes now and then, unlike nearly everyone else on the internet. LOL.

Anyway, it's fast but only 1/60th of what I mistakenly wrote.

I know, it's important to be correct all of the time. I leave that to my wife.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Milermatic 252
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"

Thanks for the detailed info Synchroman, and Broccoli1.
    i didnt realize my sw200 wouldnt be much of a factor for electricity.
    i will keep my eye on the gas usage when i get the first run of parts i will be doing at home in my shop after hours.... nice little side job, hopefully.

Syncroman, i agree, the MM252 is an awesome machine; we have 3 of them at work, two set up on steel and the other with a python push pull gun for aluminum... can burn it all day long without a hiccup...

thanks again guys.
    SyncrowaveŽ 200
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Lincoln Weld Pak 100 wire feed