Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default syncrowave 200 KW usage ?

guys,
    anyone know what my syncrowave 200 air cooled units KW/hr usage is ?
    i looked here in the product description and couldnt find it.
    trying to quote a job and figuring out all the costs of electricity, rod, gas, etc..
    thanks for any help
    SyncrowaveŽ 200
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Lincoln Weld Pak 100 wire feed

Quote Originally Posted by FABMAN View Post
    guys,
    anyone know what my syncrowave 200 air cooled units KW/hr usage is ?
    i looked here in the product description and couldnt find it.
    trying to quote a job and figuring out all the costs of electricity, rod, gas, etc..
    thanks for any help
    Hmm, it struck me that KW/HR usage would depend upon the amperage setting of the machine. There could be a variation from 5 to 200 amps on a SW200. Perhaps someone knows if there is a constant for Syncrowave 200 kw/hr usage.

Likewise gas usage would depend upon setting of the flowmeter....15scfh, 20scfh, 25, scfh would all vary usage.

Rod is also a variable that depends upon what you are welding and for how long.

I would like to see the answers on this. This is interesting.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Milermatic 252
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"

You can break it down but I wouldn't worry about electricity consumption in the bid.

The gas you can figger out easily enough as well as the rod.

"Cost of Power - Cost of electrical power is a very small part of the cost of deposit-ing weld metal and in most cases is less than 1% of the total"

http://edgewh.esabna.com/EUWeb/AWTC/Lesson9_3.htm
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Synchroman View Post
    Hmm, it struck me that KW/HR usage would depend upon the amperage setting of the machine. There could be a variation from 5 to 200 amps on a SW200. Perhaps someone knows if there is a constant for Syncrowave 200 kw/hr usage.

Likewise gas usage would depend upon setting of the flowmeter....15scfh, 20scfh, 25, scfh would all vary usage.

Rod is also a variable that depends upon what you are welding and for how long.

I would like to see the answers on this. This is interesting.
    thanks... i can figure the gas and filler, but someone told me the syncrowaves draw electricity even at idle, and lets say im running at 100amps for the other equation.... any help would be appreciated
    SyncrowaveŽ 200
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Lincoln Weld Pak 100 wire feed

There is a chart on page 12 of the newest version(didn't check older ones) of the owners manual that will put you in the ball park. Idle looks to be .3 kw. at 150 amps out it varies between 4.3 and 6 kw depending on the voltage out. If you are figuring that close pick 6 kw.---Meltedmetal

Your electrical use is a very small part of the costs, I wouldn't even bother trying to figger it out.

Cost you more in labor/time trying to calculate it.

But

V X A = watts
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Your electrical use is a very small part of the costs, I wouldn't even bother trying to figger it out.

Cost you more in labor/time trying to calculate it.

But

V X A = watts
    Yes, I certainly agree that it's a negligible portion of costs. Also to clarify, when I said 5 to 200 amps above, I meant the output that is generated by the unit itself. The input would be a much smaller amount of current since it would be on a 240 VAC line, assuming that you have a 240V machine.

It you truly wanted to calculate the KW/Hr in certain modes, you would have to do a test with some sort of breakout of the two main power cables. Then you could use a clamp meter on one or the other of the wires and calculate a rough usage. This needs to be done carefully, however and as Mr. Brocolli says, it's really not worth the time.

As to the amount of current at idle, it's got to be very low, even on a transformer unit like the SW200. I operate my water cooler from the convenience outlet on the face of the SW200 and that's really only about an amp. I would guess another amp or two for the machine at idle, but the only way to tell is with a clamp meter which must be placed on a single wire to give a correct reading.

I would suggest that your most expensive segment would be the shielding gas. I know, for example that I can weld for close to 11 hours with a 160 cu. ft. customer-owned argon cylinder at 15 scfh. Estimate how much time you will spend on the work and you would have a very accurate value.

As mentioned, the electricity and welding rod are really not a very large part of the equation like the gas would be.

By the way, I love my Syncrowave 200. As a long time hobby welder, it was a treat when I got mine. It was a near new trade-in at an LWS and had only six hours on it. That was five years ago and it has served me well.

Right now, I'm developing a love affair with my new MM252. You should see what it does to 1/2" plate at 29.5 Volts and 515 IPM!

Happy Trails!
    Last edited by Synchroman; 10-15-2013 at 06:23 PM.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Milermatic 252
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"

You can get a ball park by looking at the Chart in the Manual for the rated power use

150 welding amps at 16volts = yada yada yada
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

The Sync 200 manual has some input/output specs. For example:

Stick welding 150 Amps DC at 26 Volts, you'd be drawing 5.8 kW at 230 VAC input. So figure your cost per kWhr and your weld on time.
    Miller stuff:
    Dialarc 250 (1974)
    Syncrowave 250 (1992)
    Spot welder (Dayton badged)

For some reason my attempted post requires moderator approval. Let's try again.

Appx 6 kW in at 150 DC stick out, but you have a 40% duty cycle at that point. If you are paying 12 cents per kilowatt-hour:

6 x .12 x .4 = $.288 per hour.
    Miller stuff:
    Dialarc 250 (1974)
    Syncrowave 250 (1992)
    Spot welder (Dayton badged)