Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default please help what to buy

I am helping out a friends shop weld good size aluminum boxes and am welding with my dynasty 350 right now but it's way way way to slow and owner said they were wire welding them with spool gun or push pull set up Most the plate aluminum is 3/8 to 7/16 and they have been tacking on 1 in blocks to all four corners on these parts So my question is what set up would work for me ? I don't wanna spend the farm but would like to get a wire set up for this any advise would be great thanks in advance

Also I might be able to get a power source as well if that would help out

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mikesystem View Post
    I am helping out a friends shop weld good size aluminum boxes and am welding with my dynasty 350 right now but it's way way way to slow and owner said they were wire welding them with spool gun or push pull set up Most the plate aluminum is 3/8 to 7/16 and they have been tacking on 1 in blocks to all four corners on these parts So my question is what set up would work for me ? I don't wanna spend the farm but would like to get a wire set up for this any advise would be great thanks in advance
    Sounds like a perfect job for a Millermatic 350P with the Alumapro Push-Pull gun..

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...p?model=M00151

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qU-0XqmAo0

I have one and it is the cat's meow for MIG.. between the MM350P for MIG and the Dynasty 350DX on TIG... you can pretty much handle whatever comes along....

Just my 2 cents worth.. But I own both.. and you could not trade me out of either one...
    Last edited by H80N; 10-12-2013 at 10:26 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Add Content

Anything on the cheaper side of that ?

Anything on the cheaper side of that ?
    For my money.. nothing comes close...

you might find it more cost effective in the long run to buy the more capable machine from the beginning and be able to handle the larger stuff at longer duty cycle... rather than being limited by a smaller machine..with a lesser duty cycle.
    Doing those aluminum boxes continuiously at decent speed and not needing to stop and let the machine cool between beads..will require some horsepower..

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

What kinda amps would I need to weld that thickness ? What about a spool gun ? Thanks

What kinda amps would I need to weld that thickness ? What about a spool gun ? Thanks
    Amperage is a function of Voltage X Wire Speed for a given size wire..
    See figure 6.9 page 32.
    Not so much Amps available... but the duty cycle at the given amperage..
    See figure 4.2 page 11
    this is the amount of time that you can weld at that output before you have to stop and let the welder cool

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o1327ah_mil.pdf

The 30A spoolgun is a well made piece of equipment and heavy duty... but it is tiring to sling all that weight around all day and the frequent spool changes...

Great for smaller jobs..

one feature that the MM350P has that most others do not.. is the ability to pulse... this gives a pretty bead that looks a lot like TIG and reduces the total heat input to the work..
    Last edited by H80N; 10-12-2013 at 11:52 AM.

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Will I don't do very much of this and prob won't after this but this might go on for a few months but just can't drop 5 g on a unit to weld these things worst comes to worst I will have to keep tigin it but its taking to long I was thinking a millermattic 200 with a spool gun but not sure if that would work or not

Oh and pretty don't matter they *** machined after all welds are done these are for sand molds and go to a foundery