Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default welding cart axle

what are yall's suggestions on making small axle? im making a welding cart with wheels. my frame for the axle is 1inch square tubing. but im having trouble with my wheel selection and axle. should i use all-thread or strait bar for the axle?
    I want my cart to be level. so i am thinking about putting 6" to 8" wheels in the back and swivel in the front. i am having trouble with finding wheels and an axle that will fit them. i want the wheels to be able to handle about 900 lb..

Our Tractor Supply has a lot of wheels, steel, rubber, with air or solid rubber. Buy round stock to fit wheel u buy.

Quote Originally Posted by brettbuck View Post
    what are yall's suggestions on making small axle? im making a welding cart with wheels. my frame for the axle is 1inch square tubing. but im having trouble with my wheel selection and axle. should i use all-thread or strait bar for the axle?
    I want my cart to be level. so i am thinking about putting 6" to 8" wheels in the back and swivel in the front. i am having trouble with finding wheels and an axle that will fit them. i want the wheels to be able to handle about 900 lb..
    I used the hand truck wheels you get at Harbor Freight for mine. Each one is rated for 300 Lbs. so times 4, that comes out to 1200 Lbs. They are 8" diameter and use a 5/8" steel rod for an axle. They also have caster wheels with the same size tires on them you can use. Which ever you choose, do like gnforge suggests and use solid round bar not all thread. The all thread doesn't have much strength when put under a bending force, like for an axle. With the solid rod you can drill a hole through the end and use a cotter pin in it to hold the wheel on.
    What kind of welding machine are you going to put on this cart that comes close to 900 Lbs.?

I added 2 axles and 4 wheels to my 5000 watt generator as the
    factory wheel option was $65 for 2 wheels.

Clamped the round rod to the frame with U bolts and used these shaft collars to keep the wheels in place. Got them at www.reidsupply.com.

I had the wheels and 1/2" diam stainless rods so my cost was $24 for 8 collars.
    After I ordered them, I realized I could have welded a washer on the rod as a stop so I only would have needed 4 collars.
    The collars come in all sizes so you can pick the size rod you need for your load requirements.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

My cart holds my Miller XMT 350 and S-22 wire feeder as well as two "K" size (252 cu.ft.) gas cylinders, Spoolgun and lots of cable and supplies. I planned on a 5/8" axle under the heaviest part of the cart and discovered that a mild steel axle underperformed so I switched to a cold rolled axle. I also found that HF hard rubber wheels rated at 800 lbs fell apart under the load, so I bought a pair at Grainger Hardware and have had no problems since.
    Miller XMT-350 CC/CV
    Miller S-22A wirefeeder
    Bernard 400A "Q" gun
    Miller 30-A Spoolmatic w/WC-24
    CK 210 & WP-18 GTAW torches
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    O/A Rig, Enco 4x6 bandsaw, etc.

I used two about 4 or 5 inches long bolts from Home Depot that fit the hole in the wheels I used. I think they were 5/8 but would have to check. I simply welded a bolt to each side of the cart where I wanted the wheel, installed the wheel on the bolt then trimmed the excess length and used a nylock nut so I could back it off slightly to facilitate the wheel spin. I can post a pic later if you like.cart axle.jpg
    Last edited by goichi1; 11-22-2013 at 12:13 PM.

I keep a length of 5/8" cold rolled in the shop for making axles. Just cut off what is needed, weld it to the frame, or a piece of tube, then drill the end for a cotter key.

I used 5/8 inch bolts with smooth shaft, connected under cart with 5/8 threaded rod and rod couplers. Works great. I can set the wheel shaft bearing side play INDEPENDENT of total axle tension.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-a...o/DSCN2044.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Y...Cable_Mgmt.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Have you started on this cart build yet? It has been long enough you could have finished it by now. Do you have an update on this project, pictures?

If you watch this video I talk about the axle wheels I just put on my lincoln weldanpower.... I used 16" pneumatic wheel barrel wheels because the bigger the wheels the easier it rolls. It was also a 5/8" shaft, with washers and cotter keys. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWgYMLErpN0
    Lincoln Weldanpower AC/DC
    Lincoln LN-25
    Miller WC-115a
    Miller Spoolmatic 30a

Check out my youtube TV Channel