Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default SB tig braze help

But bolting is the easier way

Melted-

This had mild steel glued on somehow and it fell out. I acquired this and just want to warm the shop with it. Might have had glass before. I ground a good layer off and it is definitely not white metal.

Steve-

Good to know about bronze. Why won't the sb melt to the bronze? This is my first time working with this metal. I like steel better!
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Is it worth SB mig wire? I could pick up a small spool of that too.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Default SB tig braze help

I checked some sources and it looks like you should use argon or argon/helium mixture. You could even use pure helium if your welding a thick part. The trick is too get a puddle started and keep the arc in the puddle moving it forward when you add the next drop of silicon bronze. Do not focus the arc just on the brass. If the brass gets too hot the zinc in the brass will migrate out at you with a pop and a white hazardous smoke. Use DC and pulse of about 30 and background about 50% if you have the pulse option on your machine. You could also braze this project with a gas torch. Hope this helps. Have fun!