Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SB tig braze help

I am trying to repair a door from a wood stove from the shop. The frame looks to be brass and the inside is mild steel. Cleaned everything up and planned to tig braze with silicon bronze filler. Ran a test piece on mild steel and ran fine. Tried on my project and it doesn't stick to what I thought was the brass.

Using my cst280 in lift tig mode at 100 amps tri-mix tungsten and dcen. I tried between 75 and 125 amps and all the same result. What am I doing wrong? I have some pictures attached.

There is a lot of rust on the steel but I cleaned it up along the brazed section and also ground down to fresh metal on the bronze.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Picture 1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

Picture 2
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

What do you mean by doesn't stick? Does the material burn back but pieces just won't join? It's hard to see what you tried to weld maybe a close up if the weld attempt?

Thought I posted this earlier. SB melts to steel fine. Just balls up on the brass.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

Try and focus heat on bronze panel see what kind of heat it takes to get a puddle on that first before adding filler. Not sure what the problem is exactly without being there.

Probably going to take a lot more heat than you've got so far. I'd just bolt it.---Meltedmetal

Got a lot of heat into the bronze to make a puddle and it started turning white and pitting out. Good gas coverage and a gas lens. I am still not sure it is bronze. Just a guess. Silicon bronze tig brazing isn't supposed to melt the base metal. Just the filler. Much less heat input that way.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

Are you replacing a glass with steel? Have you ground the "bronze" to see that it is not white metal and plated, though it is not a place I would use white metal I'd have used cast iron but I can. I'd still get out the drill and bolt it.This would also let it work the steel and the "bronze independently as whatever it is it likely doesn't have the same co-efficient of expansion as the steel.---Meltedmetal

I have welded steel and bronze together using sb wire when you get the puddle in the bronze it will absolutely start burning bright and spitting up at ya.