Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Make side money welding from home

Howdy Folks......I have a millermatic 180 with profax gun, 15' reach. Also, I have a nice di-acro rotary bender (manual). along with other sundry metal working tools.

Do any of you have ideas on how I could make money with my tools?

I have been doing the occasional odd job, mostly trailer repairs, a few weed eater racks for lawn companies, dog boxes on a trailer but I would really like to put that bender to use and get more work.

I don't have much experience with the bender but it came with a bunch of dies. Most of the dies are for 3/4" tubing.

You need to be fluent and experienced with the tools you have before starting a small business. There's no point in advertising your business/services if you can't proficiently use all your tools. Can you weld all metals in all positions? Do you have any certification tickets to prove you able and competent?
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Miller Bluestar 2E
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Torchmate CNC table

Ironworker Welder
    Operating engineer
    Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding

Default 15 foot gun on 180?

I really don't think your drive motor is going to last very long. The machine is only designed to run a 10 foot gun.

I have a ton of tools/equipment... my friends come in my shop and say i have everything. But it seems with every new job i need a new tool, mostly the small stuff. Tubing benders etc... have the tendency to sit around.

And your gonna need more than just a mig welder to have a decent weld/repair shop. Aluminum comes up quite often and you cant do a whole lot with the 180 and the spoolmate 100

I'd have to agree with this.

I am doing what your thinking of and found Tig to be my most used process.

If your Mig only, advertise what work you can do and go for that. Practice with it every day and get good. Go after the lawn care guys. Mig is perfect for that equipment. Racks for trailers, expanded metal, mowers you name it.

Its small time work but could get you better things later on. Mig is good for yard art also, make something to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by weldonwelding View Post
    I have a ton of tools/equipment... my friends come in my shop and say i have everything. But it seems with every new job i need a new tool, mostly the small stuff. Tubing benders etc... have the tendency to sit around.
    I get some of that but today I think much of it thru farther than I did. I am less compulsive about shopping and have so many tricks for one off jobs I try not to buy more stuff.

I bought a set of bottles with 1/2 good torch set on it last week for 160 and the gas was 3/4 full-full. I even avoid used "deals" anymore, but had my eye out for another set of bottles at the right time and place, I was there, they were there, 100$ net to have another set of spares on the rack I only occasionally use. Purchase price on them well over 400 plus fill and tax. The convenience wasn't worth 400+ but for 1 is was hard to beat.

Shopping was so much different than when I started out. If I was young and in the hunt would be a power shopper any more, so many good stores as compared to the mom and pop or supply houses one was held hostage to at hi prices, so many good tools out there so cheap in comparison to 30 yrs ago.

The used market is a wonderful thing. It was so hard to buy and sell back in the day, now the problem is decision. I started with Lincoln because its what my local dealer had. Not everyone liked dealing with him, he was a Jewish scrap dealer, he did a lot of biz with biz, he had it priced and I am sure if a guy did some real biz there could be negotiated deals but the avg little guy got a deal on a bottle fill.

I usually never asked what the price was unless I was bidding or generalizing. I think he really understood his market and looking back genuinely liked the public. I saw a couple big user go out of town due to pricing but he had a huge base where it wasn't worth it when they were not being obscenely gouged.

Its hard to grasp some price rises anyway but now we are all paying retail. As smaller companies got asorbed the price has went up to the small customer, everytime you aint looking you are shoved up a price tier. Some of the help is still there, maybe they aint all that sharp but they got to know,,, I stopped shopping there or when I do I call and price everything.

This may or may not relate to the original question,, ha.

People that know you are interested give you stuff. My neighbor had no use for these.

The reason I spun off,,, I would be on lookout for used, back in the day we bought a lot of new that rides the bench, I still get caught on that on occasion, but its smaller and less of a jolt than just starting out. Learn to be modest about tooling, I bought a lot and a lot of attachments to have the best and in the end used a 300$ welder 10 times as much as a 3000$ one. Stick to small and practical and really make sure you need something before going out on a limb.

2nd,, back then if you wanted anything near now would have to wait on unpredictable results. Now can go in to a store and buy a wrench off the shelf 24/7, a grinder or order it from home at some crazy cheap price. Imitation and competition has made a lot of stuff go down in price. Supplys went up, tools down.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I spent 900 on new batteries, it was a limp to the end and about cost me several dangerous events for using faulty tools, at fist thought maybe I panicked by getting a couple extra but am now getting back to the groove of full power again. I use drill and sawzall as much as a welder, maybe more critical.

With a few bits and blades it has replaces a whole lot of tools. Ifg not for that would have had a mag drill by now but learned basics well enough that for a couple holes can be done before the setup with expensive tooling, cut a 2x2 angle off in 30 seconds with a sawzall,,,, why fire up a torch. 20$ in brand name blades at the flea mkt a year and its cheaper than the gas and no fire.

I don't own a bender and my neighbor recently built me a small sheet one, I wouldn't mind a 48 finger brake but until I get it cheap I am a master of scoring pre bent appliance steel or working over bench etc. There is so much factory prebent in the scrap last real tubing I bend is electric, seems I can find something, kids toys. furniture etc. This doesn't work in fabrication production but in the end I find I do nt use every tool they ever invented.

Ya gots ta have the right color welder to make money.

Lincwelder ac-180-c 1952 ad.jpg

Miller stuff:
    Dialarc 250 (1974)
    Syncrowave 250 (1992)
    Spot welder (Dayton badged)