Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cast Iron

Maybe it wasn't luck, you just done a good job. I'm thinking it may have been ok without doing any preheat or slow cool.

Just my opinion,
    I know everybody gets into that preheat thing with cast. I did too.

But for the life of me I can't understand how it would make a difference unless the part was heated almost to melting point, kept there during welding and controlled cooled in a furnace.

If the molecules / atoms / space lattices or what ever are not able to move how can the preheat help? Glowing red at close to liquid during welding would allow expansion and contraction but just hot wouldn't do that.

Now to contradict myself, at work we measure in microns, just picking up a part, the warmth of your hand expands the size, this is steel. I can not understand.

I've Tig welded cast, no preheat no problem, next time may be different.

Hardrock40 i hear ya. I haven't welded much cast iron or steel but so far ive been blessed with good results. The vice i welded up with 7018 is still working but i make sure i don't wack on it with a big hammer. I do find that i am learning everyday the more i weld and i must say i do need more skill to make my welding as good as most on this site........
    HH 210MVP
    Spoolrunner 100
    Powercraft AC buzz box
    Lotas LTP5000D plasma
    Victor Oxy/Acet
    30 ton press
    A few brand name tools
    Lots of no name tools
    A wife to worry me
    and 4 dogs to supervise me

Default Cast Iron

It's not that it can't be done cold, but for me it's how it can be done best. In welding almost always Preheat is one of your closest friends. Very rarely will it hurt u and almost always it will help you. Like wise with post heat or simply cooling slowly.
    If you work with alloy steels 4130 - 4140, heat treated, Preheat and slow cool is a must unless working with thin metal.
    Personally I put cast iron in same class and for me I just always use preheat & slow cool. Even when I Tig cast.
    Do a search and type in "Weld HAZ" read and understand the heat affected zone and how it applies to almost all weld beads.
    Was just talking to a older timer than me :-)
    Week or so ago. He told me he always Pre heated any metal 1/2" or thicker.
    Well I can't say that cause I'm always in a hurry and I don't preheat as I should but I respect him for his dedication to quality.

Yes I like preheated welding also, but like you say I don't always take the time to do it.

I'm just not sure it helps with cast you expect might crack unless you take it to the limit.

HAZ is the most scary thing in my life.

Default Good Ole Cast Iron

You can weld cast iron "hot" or "cold".

Hot means that you preheat as much of the piece as possible as hot as possible without going over 1400 deg. F. After every pass, while the bead is still glowing if possible, peen several times. And then slowwwww cool. The preheat is done to help aleviate carbon migration in the HAZ and causing brittleness and the peening is done to help stress relieve so the brittle HAZ is not overstressed and crack.

Cold means to preheat to a minimum of 400 deg. F and weld just 1/2 to 3/4 inches at a time, peen, reheat, weld. Do this till your done and slowww cool.

It is all about reducing the amount of carbon that will migrate to HAZ after welding.Which we all should know what happens when there is too much carbon in one spot.

And always use a nickel filler. Whether it is a 55% or a 99% nickel filler will depend on the situation.

And those of you that have welded what you think was cast iron with a mild steel filler, was probably cast steel not cast iron. If it was cast iron, consider yourself one of the luckiest people in the world that it hasn't cracked.
    Last edited by jpence38; 10-12-2013 at 07:01 AM.
    JIM

Owner Operator of JNT Mobile Welding & Repair LLC
    Millermatic 350P Aluma Pro
    Dynasty 200DX
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Trailblazer 302
    Suitecase 12RC
    Extreme 12VS
    Extreme 8VS
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller HF251D-1
    Passport Plus
    Spoolmate 100
    Hypertherm Powermax 45 and 85
    Ingersoll Rand Engine Driven Compressor
    Dake 75 ton H-Frame Press
    JD Squared Model 32 Bender
    Miller Digital Elite

Cool

I can and have for years with Crown Alloys 44-30 CI Mig wire...Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

As long as a cast part you are trying to repair is not constricted while welding I find the result are usually favorable as the part is able expand while welding and contract while cooling. When trying to weld a constricted part like a crack in the side of a cast engine block, you are very likely to have cracking occur as the expanding cast iron can't go anywhere it thickens instead, then while cooling it try's to contract back to its original position but instead pulls on the rest of the casting enough to crack.
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter

Quote Originally Posted by stickermigtigger View Post
    Check out Chucke2009 on YouTube. He has 2 or 3 good videos on this topic.
    i came across his videos last week. he explained WHY you cant weld aluminium with certain machines (need a lot of amps).....i didnt know why some machines were listed as "no aluminium"

he likes to try things out....i like that, it makes me think