Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default need help please

So i bought the Miller diversion 180 welder and i went to plug the 20a 250 volt plug into my generator and it wont fit into my generator. My generator does not have a 20A 250volt plug, it has a 50A A.C. 240volt plug which is a little bigger than the welder plug. what should i do? do i need to get an adaptor or a transformer? where do i get one of these?

I don't have the 180 but one thing you have to do is get an extension cord to run the welder because you don't want to be real close to the generator or be tied down to a small area beside an inside outlet. I would go to an electrical supply store and get an extension cord made to fit your welder and generator. Don't go to lowes and buy the parts because they are most always higher. I would also wire my inside outlet with the 50amp receptacle like the generator and use the drop cord. Look at your owners manual for the recommended wire size and length. A #12 wire will run a 200amp welder at 50ft. Good luck.
    HH 210MVP
    Spoolrunner 100
    Powercraft AC buzz box
    Lotas LTP5000D plasma
    Victor Oxy/Acet
    30 ton press
    A few brand name tools
    Lots of no name tools
    A wife to worry me
    and 4 dogs to supervise me

I was lowes last weekend looking at a generator and they have a bunch of different adapter plugs you can, get by the generators

Default need help please

EVSEadapters.com
    You need the 14-30 to 6-50 adapter. It's ready to go. Or you can goto your local electrical supply store and build your own.

I cant believe this is a question ( Go to the hardware and buy the right plug )

Since you asked this question I'm going to go out on a limb and ask what size generator you have ( Meaning how many watts it is rated for )

This matters, The generator has to be able to supply ebouph amps as well as the proper voltage.

Just because the plug says its rated for 30amps does'nt always mean that thats what the generator is rated for.

Quote Originally Posted by brettbuck View Post
    So i bought the Miller diversion 180 welder and i went to plug the 20a 250 volt plug into my generator and it wont fit into my generator. My generator does not have a 20A 250volt plug, it has a 50A A.C. 240volt plug which is a little bigger than the welder plug. what should i do? do i need to get an adaptor or a transformer? where do i get one of these?
    Hi Brett,

the Miller 50amp 240v plug on the Diversion is a little misleading because for some reason Miller has 20A stamped on that plug BUT it is NOT a 20 amp plug.

It is a standard 240v 50amp rated Nema 6-50 that is common for welding machines.

You don't need a Transformer.

You do need an adapter to go from the plug on the Diversion to the generator receptacle.

Generators with enough power will either have a 4-prong twist L14-30r or a
    14-50R straight blade receptacle.

If you are not sure post up a photo of the receptacle on the generator and we'll get ya sorted out.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    I cant believe this is a question ( Go to the hardware and buy the right plug )

Since you asked this question I'm going to go out on a limb and ask what size generator you have ( Meaning how many watts it is rated for )

This matters, The generator has to be able to supply ebouph amps as well as the proper voltage.

Just because the plug says its rated for 30amps does'nt always mean that thats what the generator is rated for.
    You don't just go to the hardware store and buy the right plug: the Diversion 180 uses Miller's MVP system so that you can switch between 120v or 240v power.

If you hardwire a different plug it will Void the warranty and render the MVP system useless.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Amen, don't change the plug. Get a cord made up and you won't go wrong.
    HH 210MVP
    Spoolrunner 100
    Powercraft AC buzz box
    Lotas LTP5000D plasma
    Victor Oxy/Acet
    30 ton press
    A few brand name tools
    Lots of no name tools
    A wife to worry me
    and 4 dogs to supervise me

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    You don't just go to the hardware store and buy the right plug: the Diversion 180 uses Miller's MVP system so that you can switch between 120v or 240v power.

If you hardwire a different plug it will Void the warranty and render the MVP system useless.
    I just sold my Diversion 180. Went through this same scenario. Take the 230 plug off the Diversion. Go to your electrical supply-get a female receptacle to match. While you are there, get a male plug to match your generator outlet, either three-prong straight, or four prong locking.

Buy the correct gauge wire according to the owners manual. If I remember right, the manual specified 10 gauge. Then connect the ends and you should be good to go. The connector plugs usually come with a color code for which wires go where. Usually it is green to green, white to silver, and black to gold or copper color. Good luck !