Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spoolmate Tip Burnback---Problem Ended Forever

I have fought tip burnback till I went crazy. I have aMillermatic 211 Autoset and love the machine. It does beautiful work on allkinds of general steel with the standard steel wired gun. A

Aluminum is anotherstory though. 1st, it will not run 5356 fill wire on anything. Itdoes grudgingly I guess, just looks horrible with smoke, spatter and bead pileup and poor penetration. 5356 is NOT the wire for this machine. I get that now.

The machine does run 4043 for Aluminum and does well except for the 'EVERY 5MINUTE BOUT WITH TIP BURNBACK,
    CLOGGED WIRE IN THESPOOLGUN, 1/2 HOUR DISSASEMBLE, NEEDLENOSE PLIAR FIGHT TO DIG OUTTHE BALLED UP WIRE FROM THE DRIVE ROLLS ETC. ETC NIGHTMARE, FOUL LANGUAGE SHOUTED ATWIFE AND DOG, NEITHER OF WHICH WELDS.

Started searching the internet for like victims of the "Gonna Give me aHeart Attack Spoolmate 100 Tip BurnBURINGEST SOB on the planet"Viola=====hundreds of other Spoolmate owners/victims all of which areexperiencing the dreaded "EVERY 5 MINUTE TIP BURNBACK EPISODE".

Solution in short. Take your currently "Worthless Spoolmate 100 gun withthe little costly 186406 tips and throw all those little expensive $%*#$%saway. Never use them again, they cannottake the heat of the arc and will always burn back. I kinda think this was done intentionally by themanufacturer to make us all buy the grossly more expensive spool guns. You must drill out your copper/brass tipreceiver barrel to 1/4X28 threads to accept the larger commercial grade tipseg: 000068X0.35. Drill in approx ˝ inchand tap the new oversize 1/4X28 threads into the barrel. You must also cut the spring wire alignerinside the barrel off about ˝ inch too. Screw in your new Heavy Duty tip and enjoy “BURNBACKFREE, ROW OF DIMES LOOKING, SMOKE FREE, SPATTER FREE, DEEP PENETRATION,PROFESSIONAL LOOKING WELDS USING 4043 at a thickness of 0.35. Why didn’t they just put these tips on thegun in the first place and stop us all from contracting Spoolmate High Blood Pressure?

Cool

AMEN BROTHER. Been saying that for 7 years or so...Bob
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktail View Post
    [COLOR=#222222][

I kinda think this was done intentionally by themanufacturer to make us all buy the grossly more expensive spool guns.
    Yup like buying an Dell computer and getting a FREE printer that uses 60 bucks worth of ink for a refill...Bob

Yep, I did that after reading Bobs write up years ago, worked great.

I can make decent looking welds with my spoolmate 100 and don't have many problems with burn back. Is it still worth doing? Does it just flat out weld better or does it just correct the burn back issue?

I don't have this problem anymore either. I just threw away the whole **** gun.
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351
    Lincoln LN-25 Pro

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™ (Sold)
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
    Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

Quote Originally Posted by kvwall View Post
    Who knew the "D" word would get censored on this forum. Please excuse my French.
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351
    Lincoln LN-25 Pro

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™ (Sold)
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
    Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kvwall View Post
    Wish you would have thrown it my way 3 minutes with a metal lathe and the problem is solved forever...Bob

Here is a message i just received from a great member here.

Just wanted to tell you I went down to the LWS Friday to buy tips for my modified Spoolmate. I brought in the barrel I had received back from you to make sure I got the right ones. The counter guy says "Oh, a Spoolmate, I have the tips right here" and walked over to the Miller section of the wall. I said "No, it has been modified to take the M-15 tips". He opened a package of Spoolmate tips and said "Oh, I see, these are too small now, let me check one of the 'regular' tips" and it screwed right in and fit perfectly. He said "I can see how that is a great improvement because people always complain about these Spoolmate tips". Then he asked where I got it done, etc. I told him I had 'found you' on the Miller Welding Forums and he said, I think I'll have to check into that.

Thanks again!! You do quality work!
    Last edited by aametalmaster; 02-26-2014 at 05:40 PM.

Thumbs up

IT's always rewarding to hear a satisfied customer !

take it it's yours you earned it.
    Last edited by snowbird; 02-26-2014 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Wish you would have thrown it my way 3 minutes with a metal lathe and the problem is solved forever...Bob

Here is a message i just received from a great member here.

Just wanted to tell you I went down to the LWS Friday to buy tips for my modified Spoolmate. I brought in the barrel I had received back from you to make sure I got the right ones. The counter guy says "Oh, a Spoolmate, I have the tips right here" and walked over to the Miller section of the wall. I said "No, it has been modified to take the M-15 tips". He opened a package of Spoolmate tips and said "Oh, I see, these are too small now, let me check one of the 'regular' tips" and it screwed right in and fit perfectly. He said "I can see how that is a great improvement because people always complain about these Spoolmate tips". Then he asked where I got it done, etc. I told him I had 'found you' on the Miller Welding Forums and he said, I think I'll have to check into that.

Thanks again!! You do quality work!

Hey Bob, can I get you to mod mine? Thanks.