Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: nozzle melting

Default nozzle melting

we are having a problem at work with one of our millers melting nozzles we have several of the same feeders we are melting the nozzles just after a couple passes can someone please help with with trying to figure this out

Gonna need more information.
    Wire type and size
    Gas being used
    Power source
    Weld parameters
    Weld application

Going to say, that your tips are NOT recessesed in the nozzle at least 1/8". This makes for some unwanted heat, and a few other things

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Going to say, that your tips are NOT recessesed in the nozzle at least 1/8". This makes for some unwanted heat, and a few other things
    Yup. The first thing i do at work with a new tip is grab the whiz wheel and knock off a good 1/8". I wish Miller made shorter tips or longer nozzles...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Are you in spray mode?
    Miller Trailblazer's ( 2 )...MillerBobcat 250...Millermatic 251's ( 2 )...Miller Syncrowave 200...Miller Syncrowave 180SD...Miller 12VS Suitcases ( 2 )... Hobart Hefty CC/CV Suitcases ( 2 )...Miller 30A Spool Guns ( 2 )...Miller WC 15A Control boxes ( 2 )...Thermo Dynamics Cutmaster 50 Plasma Cutters ( 2 )...Thermo Arc Hi Freq Units ( 2 )...Smith / Victor O/A Sets...DeWalt Power Tools...Craftsman / Snap On Hand Tools... Two Dodge Mobile Rigs

What brand and model of MIG gun???

is it maybe a different brand or model than the other ones that are not having this problem??

different settings??

the guns that use a TWECO style contact tips have a tremendous selection of tips....

getting the 1/8 inch recess with all that selection is easy...

http://weldingdirect.com/twstcoti1.html

Pretty good selection for the Miller "Fastip" style as well

http://search.store.yahoo.net/weldin...2Fnsearch.html
    Last edited by H80N; 10-05-2013 at 11:11 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus Mills, Lathes & a Rat Tail File..

Isn't that what is called "burnback". If so, it could be caused by wrong voltage and/or wire speed setting. It could also be the wrong gauge wire, perhaps too light for the metal being welded.

I had trouble with burning nozzles and sticking tips to the wire until I learned the proper settings on my MM252.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Milermatic 252
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"

Default What are you using for a Welder.

I have had this problem a few times using a xmt 350 with a 8 rc feeder. two or three times it was someone messing with my programs. But one time It was the feeder. board went bad and called for max heat intermittently. One other time I had a short in the 14 pin cable causing wide open voltage. melting the tip half way back in the barrel.
    I suggest hooking up the feeder to a different rectifier. and see what happens. if the feeder does the same thing. change the control cable.

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Yup. The first thing i do at work with a new tip is grab the whiz wheel and knock off a good 1/8". I wish Miller made shorter tips or longer nozzles...Bob
    I have the standard 15' Miller M-25 gun that came with my MM252 and the tip sticks out a small amount. The nozzle is 2-1/2" long with a 1/2" orifice. (P/N 200258).

I've been checking and there are longer nozzles available:

169-724 Orifice = 1/2", Length = 2-5/8"
    169-725 Orifice = 5/8", Length = 2-5/8

I am wondering what the advantages would be to the 1/8" recessed tip and a 5/8" orifice versus the 1/2" orifice.

My torch works nicely now, but I would like to try these other nozzles if there is any benefit to a change.

Thanks in advance for comments.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Milermatic 252
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"

Since you say you are running the same feeders on a few machines, then try swapping the whip that is burning nozzles with another whip on a good machine. I've had this problem before when the ceramic core in the whip got damaged and wouldn't pull the heat from the nozzle. By switching whips you will know if that is the culprit.
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter