Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by ericher69 View Post
    H80N;

Wow!

How does this fall on the OP that Speedglass is trying to rape him for a replacement shade?

I understand he bought what he needed at the time but $400 for a new lense is ridiculous.
    He has choice and free will.... he is not forced to buy the Speedglass..

Even the fixed shade 12 that he bought 6 years ago... if he got another 6 years out of the new replacement $400 lens... that would work out to be about 5.45 Cents a day... hardly exorbitant...

BUT ....There are many more choices available now..

there are now excellent, inexpensive autoshades for a fraction of the cost of the 6 year old technology of a replacement lens for that Speedglass....
    I think PORTABLE WELDER may have suggested one...(arc one)

Heck.... even some of the Very Cheap chinee helmets are better than the 6 year old tech he is contemplating.. they have come a very long way...

The choice is up to him...
    Last edited by H80N; 10-04-2013 at 07:20 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Quote Originally Posted by ericher69 View Post
    H80N;

Wow!

How does this fall on the OP that Speedglass is trying to rape him for a replacement shade?

I understand he bought what he needed at the time but $400 for a new lense is ridiculous.
    That's the blame game. People who believe that they are successful in a certain field often do that, especially on the internet.

As to replacements, there are some great units on the market now. My son bought one whose name escapes me now for $90. It weighs less than my Speedglas and has a 4" X 4" window with full adjustments including sensitivity. That will be my next welding purchase.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Milermatic 252
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"

Default Love My Speedy

I Have had Four different models over the years. Always had variable shades. and never any issues. I bought all of them from ebay. you might be able to find a used shade ten on there. 3M bought speed glass a few years back that was to bad. 3M caters to big industry so the over the counter buyer is up the creek as far as price points for replacement parts.

Default speedglas 9000f

Coming from someone who had sold these things over the years, 9000F stopped being made 11-12 yrs ago. 9002F which is replacement upgrade, was sold up till last year? and the SL 100'S or 9100 series helmet is the latest being made by Speedglas. I seem to think you bought the last one that had sat on the shelf and struck a deal to move an old dead item. Shame on them for not telling you and next time do a little checking around. As much info that is on the internet these days will help make better decisions on the next purchase. Whatever you buy....make sure parts are available.

I am confused.

What I gather is that the hood works fine, but is too dark because it is a #12?

So nothing is wrong here other than the OP does not want to spend $400 to add to a $600 hood?
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

The hood is 12 years old and has only one shade. There are many hoods available brand new for $400 and less. I would just get another new one that goes from 9 to 12. Why spend $400 on a 12 year old unit?
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Milermatic 252
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    I am confused.

What I gather is that the hood works fine, but is too dark because it is a #12?

So nothing is wrong here other than the OP does not want to spend $400 to add to a $600 hood?
    That is how I read it....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    That is how I read it....
    Those are good hoods. The OP may want to sell his good used #12, and find a good used #10 hood. Might even come out ahead.

I buy a lot from 3M, and they are a stand up company. I applaud 3M for going the extra mile and trying to help him, even at a cost of $400.

I do understand the frustration of using a hood too dark. In the years since I had started welding I have gone from a #12 to #10. I am also having to use cheaters.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

I don't think speedglas is trying to screw him. when you buy an electronic helmet, basically the helmet is worth nothing and the lense is worth the money. it would be like buying a new car and trying to use your 10 year old tires to save money. I would think on a $400 dollar helmet, the helmet itself is only worth about $40-$50