Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spoeedglas = bad investment...bummer

About 6 years ago I bought a Speedglas 9000F hood. It is a really nice hood. It has a number 12 lens and as I am only running mig now, I cannot see a darned thing but the puddle. I just called 3M to get a new 10 lens and was told that it is 3 generations old and it would cost me $400 for a new lens, so I may as well just buy a new helmet. Now, to me, that is just tremendous customer service.

I'm in business and I understand product cycles, but you have to buy from people who support their products after the sale. In my opinion, speedglas has done anything but. Parts are a profit center but they should not be priced so that you push your customers away. At least that is the way I see it

I guess I'll run down and pick up that new Miller helmet I was looking at yesterday.

I use a 9100xx and i have never had a problem with it. But replacement outer lenses are pretty hard to find for it .

I was thinking about buying a Speedglas 9100xx but now I'm glad that I didn't yet. Service after the sale is extremely important; especially with the economy tanking. I'm glad I ran across this post...Thanks!

I bought a shield that is called a ( Arc One ) and have had it for a little over a year now and have been very pleased with it, I used to have a speed glass and gave it to my foreman.

I like the fact that I never have to turn it on and I like how the head gear tightens like a huntsman.

Keep in mind I have only had it for about 15 months, If mine broke tomorrow I would go get another one.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into that...

I just looked in the Speedglas manual and I see that the 9000F model has 10, 11, and 12. I thought that meant that the 9000F was adjustable for those three settings.
    Last edited by Synchroman; 10-03-2013 at 07:24 PM.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Milermatic 252
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"

Quote Originally Posted by Synchroman View Post
    I just looked in the Speedglas manual and I see that the 9000F model has 10, 11, and 12. I thought that meant that the 9000F was adjustable for those three settings.
    From what I can gather, the F is for fixed shade. Was available in 10, 11 or 12. 9000V was variable shade 9 to 13. But I'm just guessing.
    Tim

Many cordless tools...........
    2 cordless hammers
    2 cordless punches
    1 cordless chisel
    2 cordless screwdrivers, 1 + and 1 -
    and a cordless adjustable wrench that also doubles as a hammer.....

Quote Originally Posted by pin2hot View Post
    From what I can gather, the F is for fixed shade. Was available in 10, 11 or 12. 9000V was variable shade 9 to 13. But I'm just guessing.
    I guess that the 9000F only darkens to one shade. The manual is not clear on that. I can see how having only a 12 would be a problem. I use 10 most of the time and 9 on low amperage welds. I couldn't get by with only a 12. I can see what the OP means.

I don't think Speedglas is as popular since it changed hands. Mine was a Hornell version; then they went to 3-M but I don't know whether they are still with them.
    Last edited by Synchroman; 10-04-2013 at 07:36 AM.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Milermatic 252
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"

Whatever brand you buy ALWAYS make sure that the model you buy has a VARIABLE shade...

we all have made mistakes by not being well enough informed before purchase...

sounds like this was not a customer service problem... they had no way of anticipating your purchase mistake from 6 years ago..and your change in welding process.

sorry for your problem ... but it falls on you..

the good news is the autodark helmets are getting better and cheaper all the time..

I have bought several autodark helmets over the years.. some good.. some so so... one great (Miller BWE)..... and one real stinker (Jackson EQC)... but all of those purchases were a result of whether I had done my homework... I get the credit or the blame... not the manufacturer..
    Last edited by H80N; 10-03-2013 at 08:56 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus Mills, Lathes & a Rat Tail File..

Default Spoeedglas = bad investment...bummer

H80N;

Wow!

How does this fall on the OP that Speedglass is trying to rape him for a replacement shade?

I understand he bought what he needed at the time but $400 for a new lense is ridiculous.