Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Welding aluminum keith black hemi block

We have to weld up a window in the side of a race block. Should we pre heat the block, if so , to what temp.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RACENGBLDR37 View Post
    We have to weld up a window in the side of a race block. Should we pre heat the block, if so , to what temp.
    thanks
    The best I have seen are the Chris Razor videos... he is the man for block repair....
    I would follow his settings and guidelines....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohuoWdZ7fW0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9aqMknf_0g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUr2hMIrDfo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh5n9fHdGjM
    Last edited by H80N; 10-03-2013 at 09:34 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus Mills, Lathes & a Rat Tail File..

My best GUESS for filler would be Maxal 4943 rather than 4043 or 4008
    but that may need additional input...

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...Casting-repair

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus Mills, Lathes & a Rat Tail File..

I agree with H80N, I havent watched his video but Chris Razor is the very best in the business when it comes to welding on aluminum heads or aluminum engine blocks.
    If your not comfortable welding it yourself I would send it to Chris verses damaging the engine block.

He gets stuff like this shipped to him from all over the country and has welded for several of the big race teams out there.

Its nothing for me to stop at his shop and see a pallet of 50 heads and a bunch of blocks that need to be welded up.