Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MM200 problem

Glad you found the problem and as H80N suggested changing (or at least checking) the other output studs, I would suggest changing the other output rectifier diodes as well as the shorted one.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

I also removed the capacitor bank to take to an electronics guy I know to be tested, they all look good; no bulges and all vent caps intact. Is there any chance that anything else is damaged, it all looks ok and the light comes on and the fan and drive all work and the contactor still closes with the trigger it just makes that loud hum.

Thanks for the help
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by oldmachinenut View Post
    I also removed the capacitor bank to take to an electronics guy I know to be tested, they all look good; no bulges and all vent caps intact. Is there any chance that anything else is damaged, it all looks ok and the light comes on and the fan and drive all work and the contactor still closes with the trigger it just makes that loud hum.

Thanks for the help
    Bill
    On an old machine like the MM200 we have to expect some maintenance items from time to time...
    even so....that does not take the sting out of it...

but I hope that you get it sorted out and begin to enjoy it again..

In my estimation anyway ... the MM200 is a true classic with capabilities and duty cycle greater than many new "250xx" machines
    and has a sweeter arc as well...

PLS keep us posted on your progress... documenting your trials and triumphs with this machine may well help somebody else keep theirs running...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Default MM200 Fixed!

Sorry it took so long to post the results but it lives! Thanks to all of your help I diagnosed and repaired the problem, both new yellow output jacks and new output plug, 4 new stud diodes, the 4 small caps in the rectifier, both thermostats on the rectifier (just for insurance, they were both loose), a manual override switch on the NO thermostat (so I can have fan on demand OR fan when I want it) and 8 new caps, actually 16 new caps (lesson learned, don't remove parts in the dark when you are tired and trust you marked the polarity correctly! loud bang, lots of smoke). Duane talked me through the cap issue, the only good thing about the caps is they were only $6.95 each (Mallory USA 15,000uf 50 volt) on E-bay so I was still ahead money wise even with now owning 8 beautiful blue paper weights. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to tell you all that it welds better than it ever did and is now in top shape for it's next owner (with machines this good we are only the current caretakers, they WILL be passed down to future generations). Thank you all again.

Take Care
    Bill

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by oldmachinenut View Post
    Sorry it took so long to post the results but it lives! Thanks to all of your help I diagnosed and repaired the problem, both new yellow output jacks and new output plug, 4 new stud diodes, the 4 small caps in the rectifier, both thermostats on the rectifier (just for insurance, they were both loose), a manual override switch on the NO thermostat (so I can have fan on demand OR fan when I want it) and 8 new caps, actually 16 new caps (lesson learned, don't remove parts in the dark when you are tired and trust you marked the polarity correctly! loud bang, lots of smoke). Duane talked me through the cap issue, the only good thing about the caps is they were only $6.95 each (Mallory USA 15,000uf 50 volt) on E-bay so I was still ahead money wise even with now owning 8 beautiful blue paper weights. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to tell you all that it welds better than it ever did and is now in top shape for it's next owner (with machines this good we are only the current caretakers, they WILL be passed down to future generations). Thank you all again.

Take Care
    Bill
    So glad you got it back up again....

sounds like you pretty much did a full overhaul...

Hope you get many more years of service out of it..

ENJOY..!!
    Last edited by H80N; 11-30-2013 at 03:07 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..