Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MM200 problem

Default MM200 problem

I was using my mm200 tonight and it was intermittently feeding erratically and making a very noticeable, loud, not normal hum only when I pulled the trigger. When it was doing this it had nearly no output, it would just sort of fizzle . I checked everything and it just started working, I welded for about 1 hour on and off and the fan cycled and it worked as normal. I did another set up and it would not weld, lately it seems to need to be on a higher setting to weld, it smelled hot and when I opened it the transformer was hot to the touch but the fan had been cycling any help would be appreciated I love this welder and am kind of bummed that is not working.
    Thanks
    Bill

Sounds like capcitors.
    Post a serial and I am sure you will get help.

I don't have the whole serial number here at work, but I know it is a JH-----. I can get the rest of the number tonight. Thanks for the reply, one thing I forgot to mention,when I had the wire door open and it was screwing up I could see a flash behind the high output stud on the inside when I pulled the trigger.

Thanks
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by oldmachinenut View Post
    I don't have the whole serial number here at work, but I know it is a JH-----. I can get the rest of the number tonight. Thanks for the reply, one thing I forgot to mention,when I had the wire door open and it was screwing up I could see a flash behind the high output stud on the inside when I pulled the trigger.

Thanks
    Bill
    I have seen the plastic on the sockets of the front panel connectors crack and cause intermittant shorts to ground... with the same type of symtoms..

This was on my own MM200

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Those stud insulators are known for going bad. Pull it apart and clean it, and check the insulator. Since you are in there, may as well pull the nuts off of all the connection points and wire brush until shiny.

BTW, the stud kit is available online, at miller4less.com, or usually at the LWS.

Thanks guys, I will check that. If the stud did short what is the chance that it damaged anything else. The yellow plastic on the stud was real hot now that I think about it.

Thanks
    Bill

Thanks guys, I will check that. If the stud did short what is the chance that it damaged anything else. The yellow plastic on the stud was real hot now that I think about it.

Thanks
    Bill
    It is a pretty robust machine... so..Probably no harm done YET..

but I would plan on replacing that stud and others

http://miller4less.com/product_info....ducts_id=37373
    Last edited by H80N; 10-02-2013 at 08:41 AM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

You were right H80N, the high stud was loose in the panel and the insulator was worn through and arcing. I tested it with the high stud removed and the yellow lead plugged into the low stud and it still had the loud hum when pulling the trigger+ no output. I disconnected the diode leads for testing and found 1 shorted, could the bad stud insulator have taken the diode out?

Thanks again
    Bill

You were right H80N, the high stud was loose in the panel and the insulator was worn through and arcing. I tested it with the high stud removed and the yellow lead plugged into the low stud and it still had the loud hum when pulling the trigger+ no output. I disconnected the diode leads for testing and found 1 shorted, could the bad stud insulator have taken the diode out?

Thanks again
    Bill
    Yes it is possible but I am surprised... musta gotten pretty hot...

guess the heatsink on the MM200 is not stout enough for extended dead short..
    Last edited by H80N; 10-03-2013 at 08:40 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200