Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default transformer leak repair

I have a call to repair a leak in the weld around one of the pipes/ nozzles on a large industrial transformer. I have an asme R stamp as well as AWS certs and have made countless welds like this before. Prob is the procedure calls for oil to stay in the transformer at a min of 4 inches above the leak point. This we have not dealt with before. Plan is to pean the leak shut, clean it and weld it . I have been pondering using a tIg torch to close the leak completely prior to re welding the area with 7014(7014 is what the procedure calls for) I am hoping someone has some experience with this that might have some 2 cents to help us out. Thanks in advance!!

Nick

Please don't tell me it's a Cooper Power transformer. I weld for them haha. If you can get a vacuum hooked up to it to keep a flow going through it then it shouldn't blow through. I know we are repairing ours with TIG when they have a leak with oil inside but still in the shop. I'm not sure how they are fixed in the field though.

Default transformer leak repair

No its not under power and is not that make either. I can not pull a vacuum it is all piped and hooked up including full of oil. Its just not online. It is good to know that you have done that fix with oil in the system. Was there oil above the leak point? I am leaning towards the TIG weld first so its good to know thats a proven procedure. Thanks!!!