Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Welds have gone all catawampus..

I've been working on some projects in my garage the last couple days and after replacing the motherboard in my 212 a few months ago my machine has been working very nice. Then this morning it was like someone flicked a switch and all my welds went to crap. The weld is building up like I don't have enough heat but I am using the same settings I have been using the last couple days. Almost all my material has been 1/8" with some 3/16". I clean all my areas with flapper disc on my angle grinder. I have been using the autoset feature as well. My bottle of Argon 75/25 was getting low this morning so I thought that was maybe the problem. I went and exchanged it at AirGas and the welds are the same or worse. Below is a couple pics.

I have a Miller 212. I'm using 0.030 wire with mild steel from my local steel place. This is the same steel I was using yesterday.

You will notice how I am getting black residue around the weld areas and when I turned up the gas pressure I get brown real close to the weld then black after that.

I am still using the same spool of wire and it looks clean.

This shot I am using 45 cfm gas pressure on the right and 25 cfm gas pressure on the left weld. I usually run lower cfm but when I had my machine in for the board problems the gent there said I needed to run more cfm. This is using the autoset feature on 1/8" steel.

This next picture is same heat setting with about 35 cfm gas.

I should mention that is does not sound the same when I am welding. It also does not look the same. The area around the puddle is doing some funky stuff as I well but I really have no idea how to explain it.

Turin off the Autoset and see what you get.

hmmm, Kinda looks like straight Argon to me..... and its CFH, 45 CFH is retarted. 20-25 CFH is what you want

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    hmmm, Kinda looks like straight Argon to me..... and its CFH, 45 CFH is retarted. 20-25 CFH is what you want
    Thanks for the CFH correction. It started with the previous bottle which had been working fine.

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    Turin off the Autoset and see what you get.
    I tried that as well. I started with the recommended settings based on the Miller chart.

I had my son in law come take a look at it tonight. He works in a welding shop. First thing he said was how it was completely different from what it was doing last night. He spent about an hour laying bead after bead trying every different settings and could never get a decent bead.

I also tried a new tip and nozzle with no difference.

He took my last piece with him and will weld it up in the morning at work. This is the second project I have done with this welder and neither time has this machine been able to finish the job. I'm kind of bummed with my Miller purchase right now.

Quote Originally Posted by fordsbyjay View Post
    I tried that as well. I started with the recommended settings based on the Miller chart.

I had my son in law come take a look at it tonight. He works in a welding shop. First thing he said was how it was completely different from what it was doing last night. He spent about an hour laying bead after bead trying every different settings and could never get a decent bead.

I also tried a new tip and nozzle with no difference.

He took my last piece with him and will weld it up in the morning at work. This is the second project I have done with this welder and neither time has this machine been able to finish the job. I'm kind of bummed with my Miller purchase right now.
    If it's in warrantee I'd either take it to a dealer or call Miller directly. Something either has come lose or fizzed out on the board. Either way, it isn't working right.

Well, all that black soot, again looks like too much argon, thus way too much flow. Now I have run into a problem where the supplied ground clamps was not brass, and the welds looked simular. If you have the el cheapo galvenized type, best to change it imediately. Problems may just vanish.

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Well, all that black soot, again looks like too much argon, thus way too much flow. Now I have run into a problem where the supplied ground clamps was not brass, and the welds looked simular. If you have the el cheapo galvenized type, best to change it imediately. Problems may just vanish.
    Thanks I'll check that out.

Btw, I am from Edmonton originally.