Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Threaded View

Default Tig By a Dummy (not for Dummies)

Tigging BY a Dummy 101

It all started when I had a big tig job coming up and I noticed I had only 600 psi left on my 336 cu ft (T) argon tank.

The job would need more than 600 psi so, being a cheapie, I thought of ways to use up the argon before swapping it out the next day.

Had some 1/8" alum sheet scraps and decided to tig up a pyramid.
    Each side is 3" long.

Cleaned the alum with scotchbrite and acetoned the plates and 3/32" alum tig 5356 wire.90 amps advanced squarewave - 200 hz - 3/32" pointed 2% thoriated tungsten - 15 cu ft/hr argon.

Learning should be fun so here goes..........................

I have numbered the beads and added (comments my instructor would make.)

Please study them for faults - there will be a test and prize.

1 - First weld - ("ok at start but you forgot to back off on current as the alum got hot - you dummy - bead got wider and then look !!!!!!!!!")

2 - Second weld - ("I thought you learned from 1 but same thing happened - no burn thru but still too hot - wake up - dummy x 2 !!")

3 - Third weld - ("You took a break and let piece cool down enough to handle - ok looks a little better but don't get too smug.")

4 - Fourth weld ("Bead is better but now a little too cool hence the high bead. "You are really a dummy !")

5 - Fifth weld ("You let piece cool and ran another - keep trying and don't quit your day job")

OK - match the numbers to the letters and win a 2 week vacation - free airfare, hotel and meals - booze is on you.

First prize is Bikini Atoll.

Second prize is Tora Bora.

A - If you tig - every bead deserves your best effort.
    If not, why the %&*%#@ are you here?.

B - Learn from (don't hide and show) your mistakes.

C - Get in a comfortable position before you tig -
    you wouldn't sit on a cactus to watch the Super Bowl so why.......................?

D - Read the other member's posts and study the photos.

E - If you have questions - ask the forum members - the advice they offer is priceless and free.

A final question which started all this mess - "why don't you get a second cylinder"?
    Duh - I have done just that.

PS - still have 100 psi argon left - guess I'll fill some balloons and roll them down the hill during tomorrow's soapbox derby race.

Lead balloons rock !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (64.6 KB, 150 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (63.9 KB, 131 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (73.0 KB, 116 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (61.9 KB, 117 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (68.4 KB, 122 views)
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !